• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions for hummingbird books (1 Viewer)

Backyard Sanctuary

I am looking for suggestions on books about hummingbirds. Anyone come accross one or two that are a little more scientific than those that are about attracting and a general overview of the hummingbirds that visit North America backyards?

Some will disagree but I like Sheri L. Williamson's Hummingbirds of North America - it is a Peterson Field Guide. Sheri is a contributor on the Hummingbird forum. Good plates with pictures of not just the bird as a whole but also the heads and tail-feathers (as separate plates). The species accounts include: a short general description, a more detailed description of the male, female and juvenile, similar species, sounds, behavior, habitat, status and conservation, and subspecies and taxonomic relations.

I have read Sheri's books and learned a lot from them. I also enjoy her contribution to the hummingbird forum here. She is a wealth of knowledge on the topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back