• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Bird! Right outside the new Asda! (1 Viewer)

Articuno

Fan of Columbidae and Laridae
This Asda opened up in town and I went to check it out with my mum about 3 days ago. Crossing the bridge over the river just outside the building, I naturally looked over to see if I could spot some trout, wagtails etc. What did I see instead?? A dipper!!! My first one!! I was really shocked because I never thought they lived so near to me. Did some research and found they're on the increase, I actually thought they were quite difficult birds to find but I guess not! Shame I didn't have my camera on me, the bird didn't seem to mind us staring down at it! Cute! :bounce:

Congratulations :t:

Dippers are great birds, seeing them in Scotland when I was 15 was one of things that got me into birding.

I havn't seen any since then so its about time I saw thier sillouette with wizzing wings flying down a stream once again.

Nice One.

A Dipper observed in the small stream at Thornton-le-dale (North Yorkshire) several weeks ago certainly made the shopping trip with my girlfriend a little more interesting. Also saw a Grey Wagtail AND was allowed an ice cream. Result! :loveme:

very nice. its been ages since i saw one. they strike me as the sort of bird that can be locally easy to find so hopefully you'll see one regularly at the asda. coincidentally on a trip through cornwall and devon a few weeks ago we stopped at a waitrose (don't ask me where) and saw a sign about wildlife in the stream of the car park area that mentioned dippers; maybe they like supermarkets.

Superb birds and if you are fortunate enough to see them feeding/ hunting whilst walking under water you will see why they are special amongst British birds

Behind my local Sainsbury's there's a rather grotty stream where I've often seen Kingfishers (on one occasion perched on a semi-submerged shopping trolley) and once a passage Grey Wagtail.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back