• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

put Namibian bird pictures on at last (1 Viewer)

Attachments

• A1 Crimson-Breasted Shrike.jpg
    A1 Crimson-Breasted Shrike.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 88
  • A1 Doublebanded Courser.jpg
    A1 Doublebanded Courser.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 106
  • A1 Golden Weaver.jpg
    A1 Golden Weaver.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 91
  • A1 Green-backed Heron.jpg
    A1 Green-backed Heron.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 81
  • A1 Kori Bustard.jpg
    A1 Kori Bustard.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 93
Great link

Albert,

Great link- thanks for sharing. I am soooo envious of the gorgeous birds you have there. We share a few of the wading birds but you have so many more brightly colored birds and unique looking characters. I enjoyed visiting your site.

Judybird

Good to see the Pics. I was in Namibia in 2002. Visited the Desert, Skeleton Coast, Damaraland, Etosha and Waterberg. A fantasic country. There are so many places in the world to visit, but Namibia has to be near the top of any list.

Cheers

Hi Albert

You've a wonderful country and great birds. I was last there in 2000 and before that in 1973 (which ages me!!). On the '73 trip we got a Broad-billed Sandpiper at the Paradise (?) sewage works in Walvis - fairly rare at that stage,

On my last trip I got a sticker from Solitare which is currently on my Pajero - doubt if there will be many of them in Oz.
Memories of flamingoes at Walvis - overnight at Otjiwarongo - and a couple of nights in Etosha. Fantastic. Then running out of petrol as we headed south and I had to hitch a ride in a lorry into Mariental, left my watch as a deposit for a can of petrol and then got a lift in a Merc back to our vehicle.

Must get back again!

Pete (ex Zimbo)

Great Pics!

I'm off to Namibia in November. Just for one week with a non-birding tour - going to Solitaire, Swakopmund (with a morning sea-trip) and Etosha.

Frank

Great photos Albert

I'm off to Namibia in November (my first time in Africa) and am hoping for a "birdphotofest" - that is if the other members of our group can cope!

Didi

Albert calling

Didi-B said:
Great photos Albert

I'm off to Namibia in November (my first time in Africa) and am hoping for a "birdphotofest" - that is if the other members of our group can cope!

Didi

Oh yes, a fest it will be. leave the group in the lodge, stand up early and our birds will call you. Tell me with whom you are going and how it was etc. next time come with me ;)
cheers
Albert

non birding tour?

Didi-B said:
Great photos Albert

Didi

does this exist? a non-birding tour. You will die of frustration when the most magnificient birds pass by and you can't find the time to check them out. have a good one. and tell me how it was.

Hi Albert

I am going with a fellow Bird Forum member, Frank (hollis_f), and two non-birder friends who are luckily very tolerant of us birders ;)

Talking of Namibia birding, I've a question that I'd be grateful if you could help us with. Frank's got the Sasol field guide and the Sasol eGuide. I've got Newman's field guide. Frank found that there is a "Roberts Multimedia PDA" guide and we reckon it might increase our reference material options if I got that. Have you or anyone else heard of it and, if so, is it as good as the Sasol eGuide?

Thanks
Didi
p.s. I have changed my username (coz it was getting confusing as the Didi-B one I previously used here was different from the other forums I use!).

Hi Didi,

The Multimedia version of Guy Gibbon called the "Roberts Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa" is very very good. I work with it all the time. Although I do not own the PDA version, I am planning to get it - it is said to be wonderfull. Please check under www.sabirding.co.za to find the details.
If you ask me, I would recommend the Sasol "updated" field guide Third edition. That should keep you busy enough. The sasol eguide only concentrates on about 200 common birds - we have over 630 in Namibia alone.
Hey, and don't forget to go to Hobatere and Tandala Ridge and Shamvura - those people are the best birders around - oh yes, and me of course ;-)
have fun and lots of birds. email me for further questions under [email protected]
Cheers mate

Hey Albert

Thanks so much for all that useful information about guides. What you say has persuaded me on the Robert's eGuide - so I will go and order it in a minute...

Your gallery is fabulous - I love those landscape shots as well. I shall look foward to showing Frank (hollis_f) those when he next visits and shall remember your business if we ever get the chance to go back to Namibia after we have been in November.

All the best
Didi

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back