• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod for Nikon Fieldscope III (1 Viewer)

kschnei

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a new tripod for my Nikon Fieldscope III? I had been happy with an old aluminum Manfrotto tripod, but a recent switch to a Manfrotto carbon-fiber tripod has been a disaster - lots of problems with a broken leg and poor service/repair issues. Does anyone have experience using a non-Manfrotto tripod with this scope? I'm about 6'1", so need a tripod that can extend up to close to 6', I think...

Thanks in advance.

I have just come back from Sandbach Flashes using my ED111 with Velbron Sherpa Pro CF645L and a Manfrotto DHC701 head. The legs extend 3 times so should be fine for you. The head I have only had about 4 months, but it is great, and solves any back heavy issues with the scope.

I suppose one could pony up the usual stock answer as say get the best, get a Gitzo. The thing is, I doubt any other maker has better parts/service than Manfrotto. We don't know the circumstances around your disenchantment with Manfrotto, but there are several on-line sources for parts and though I don't remember which I used, once upon a time, my stuff arrived quickly w/o a hitch.

I have/had half a dozen Manfrotto tripods, numerous Manfrotto heads, currently have several Benro (Gitzo knock-off), and have had various Velbon and Slik items. Manfrotto makes (IMO) maybe the best tripod for the money. The current Benros are very good indeed, but I can't say what the parts situation is.

As far as size goes, you are best suited to determine that. You have a tripod. Use it, measure it. If your need more height, you know what to do.

I suppose one could pony up the usual stock answer as say get the best, get a Gitzo. The thing is, I doubt any other maker has better parts/service than Manfrotto. We don't know the circumstances around your disenchantment with Manfrotto, but there are several on-line sources for parts and though I don't remember which I used, once upon a time, my stuff arrived quickly w/o a hitch.

I have/had half a dozen Manfrotto tripods, numerous Manfrotto heads, currently have several Benro (Gitzo knock-off), and have had various Velbon and Slik items. Manfrotto makes (IMO) maybe the best tripod for the money. The current Benros are very good indeed, but I can't say what the parts situation is.

As far as size goes, you are best suited to determine that. You have a tripod. Use it, measure it. If your need more height, you know what to do.

I agree with Kevin. Although my Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod hasn't had any problems in 10+ years of heavy use, I have a couple older Manfrotto tripods, and various heads and accessories, and I've had to replace broken or lost parts on occasion. It was always very easy to get the exact part that I needed at a good price, and I've also had good luck getting replacement parts for broken bits at no cost (under warranty).

Side point: Does Gitzo still make the best tripods, now that Really Right Stuff makes tripods?

--AP

Side point: Does Gitzo still make the best tripods, now that Really Right Stuff makes tripods?

Well whad'ya know. I was unaware RRS was now having tripods made for them.
They look good alright, and breathtakingly expensive. w/o having actually used one however, I wouldn't necessarily sign off on their being the best.

Case in point, I use Markins ballheads, preferring them to RRS.

But, I suppose, if cost is no object, then they do look like good stuff, or uh... really right stuff.

Last edited:
The US distribution for Manfrotto, Bogen, and Gitzo is all from the same company.

Feisol and Induro make reasonably good alternatives to Gitzo. I'd go with a Gitzo series 3 or equivalent. The RRS tripods are really quite good. The design has several improvements on the Gitzo.

The Gitzo tripods are about to be replaced with a new model. The 3541LS is probably the best choice - a CF 4 section model. But there have been problems with the plate holding the tripod head coming loose, so you ideally need a flat plate from Naturescapes or B&H if you carry the tripod with the scope mounted. The new model - the 3542LS - may address this issue. I actually had the plate fall out with my camera and ballhead attached.

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the comments. I've persuaded Manfrotto to send me a new set of 055CXV3 legs and I'm hoping I just had an unusual "lemon" this first time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back