• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

couple of hover flies for ID Herts UK (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Came across these whilst searching through a large nettle patch.
Any help to put me right on my id's gratefully received.
Photo 1: Myathropa florae
photo 2: Syrphus ribesii
Many thanks,
Jono
PS I s there a good guide book to hoverflies of the UK?

Attachments

• hoverfly sp.JPG
    hoverfly sp.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 44
  • hover fly sp.JPG
    hover fly sp.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 47
Both your Ids are wrong I'm afraid. First is an Eristalis, posssibly E. pertinax.

Second is Epistrophe eligans.

Stubbs Hoverflies is the definitive ID book, but a very useful photoguide called Britain's Hoverflies by Ball/morris on Wildguides came out last year, but isn't fully comprehensive but useful for the non critical species.

Thanks for both putting me right and suggestions for a suitable guidebook. I shall look into getting a copy. Neither of your suggestions are in my "complete" Collins guide by Chinery although it does mention and show E tenax.
Cheers,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back