• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (2 Viewers)

Roger Morris said:
This I think is Eupeodes latifasciatus but I cannot be entirely certain (vague possibility of E. bucculatus).

Roger
Thanks, Roger,
I'll have to try and get better photos! (Not easy with an autofocus camera)
Ken

31 May 2007

I finally managed to get a reasonable photo of a hoverfly in my garden.
Does anyone know what it is - at least to genus level?
Ken

Attachments

• hoverfly (650).jpg
    hoverfly (650).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 187
  • hoverfly (front) (650).jpg
    hoverfly (front) (650).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I'm glad to see the return of the 'hoverfly thread' - was beginning to think they had become extinct. I've seen very few hoverflies this year other than a *few* Eristalis last month. Is this a general thing in UK or just my neck of the woods?

Couldn't the thread be made a sticky?

I've seen several species recently but I'm still trying to get to grips with hoverflies so I'm not too sure what they were. I saw Rhingia campestris several days ago but most are unidentifieds for now!

It would be useful if this was a sticky. I hadn't realised there was a hoverfly thread and would have posted some of my photos here.

I've not seen many hoverflies, Paul, although the marmalade fly has been around for a while. Also some really small ones that I think are virtually impossible to ID from photos (because the hide under their wings when they are stationary).
How does one go about making a thread into a sticky?
Ken

Coming back to my hoverfly ;) I think it might be a male Syrphus ribesii which is said to be 'among the most familiar of hoverflies throughout Britain... often being found in gardens'.
Ken

Last edited:
Coming back to my hoverfly ;) I think it might be a male Syrphus ribesii which is said to be 'among the most familiar of hoverflies throughout Britain... often being found in gardens'.
Ken

...or S. vitripennis the difference between the males is that vitripennis has black hairs on the hind femora and microtrichia (tiny hairs) on the basal cells of the wing. Can't see enough to be sure that either character is absent I'm afraid. Both species are rather common.

...or S. vitripennis the difference between the males is that vitripennis has black hairs on the hind femora and microtrichia (tiny hairs) on the basal cells of the wing. Can't see enough to be sure that either character is absent I'm afraid. Both species are rather common.

That neatly sums up why I don't do many hoverfly IDs!
But thanks for your input Imaginos. At least I know what genus it belongs to.
Ken

Alan Stubb's 'British Hoverflies' makes the identification as painless as possible-look out for it, the keys & plates are good & the descriptions take into account similar species so you needn't key them out if you don't want to & can go by the traditional method of looking at the pictures.

Alan Stubb's 'British Hoverflies' makes the identification as painless as possible-look out for it, the keys & plates are good & the descriptions take into account similar species so you needn't key them out if you don't want to & can go by the traditional method of looking at the pictures.

Believe it or not, I already have it... that's how I worked out that it was a Syrphus. (I looked at the pix ;) )
Ken

There seem to be lots of hoverflies in our garden now, mainly quite small ones. I don't seem to have much success at photographing them. The two I got are, I think, another Syrphus (probably not determinable) and one which I don't think is a hoverfly at all - I seem to remember that it's some sort of parasitic fly. Any ID help would be appreciated.
Ken

Attachments

• hoverfly 1a (650).jpg
    hoverfly 1a (650).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 155
  • hoverfly 1b (650).jpg
    hoverfly 1b (650).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 167
  • fly 1c (650).jpg
    fly 1c (650).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 162
Some good pics Ken. Most hovers are hard from photos and I think recent splits in the Syrphus genus makes them virtually impossible to assign to anything other than an agg.

Try to get lateral as well as dorsal shots and ensure the legs are clearly shown. Also get a shot head on as the face pattern can be important.

Mark van Veen has published several keys on the web and his book is worth a look too:
http://home.hccnet.nl/mp.van.veen/fe_ento.html

Look at the species lisings on the Hoverfly Recording Scheme's website to get a score to indicate how difficult each species is to ID:
http://www.hoverfly.org.uk/

I've seen plenty of hovers in favoured areas so far this year including R. campestris, L. lucorum, H. pendulus and trittivatus, E. luniger, Syrphus and Eristalis spp. as well as the difficult smaller species.

Found a rich seam this lunchtime with many species flying around some flowering privet including these two beauties:
Xanthogramma pedisequum
Volucella bombylans (white-tailed form)

Attachments

• xanthogramma_pedisequum_5jun07_1024l_20.jpg
    xanthogramma_pedisequum_5jun07_1024l_20.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 185
  • volucella_bombylans_5jun07_800l_20.jpg
    volucella_bombylans_5jun07_800l_20.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 202
I think my first this year were on 15 Apr but they have been generally rather thin on the ground so far. Good numbers of species were out on 30 Apr but on the whole it's been quite poor.

A couple more recent shots. H. pendulus is very common and C. illustrata apparently common on umbels like Angelica but this was my first.

Attachments

• cheilosia_illustrata_7jun07_800l_20.jpg
    cheilosia_illustrata_7jun07_800l_20.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 178
  • helophilus_pendulus_5jun07_800p_20.jpg
    helophilus_pendulus_5jun07_800p_20.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
It's a Sphaerophoria sp. and these are supposed to be really hard, especially as that's a female. Would be surprised if it wasn't scripta though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back