• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-300mm f4 with 1.4 TC with 50d (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
When I first bought my 450d I bought a 70-300mm f4 to go with it, but since I have sold the 450d and bought the 50d I never used it. I put a 1.4 kenko on it to-day after reading an article regarding shooting with this combo. I had already adjusted the 70-300mm with the micro adjustment in the 50d to +4 AF, do you think I should try a micro adjustment with 1.4 kenko fitted, do you think this would make any difference. Its reading f5 with center point AF and of cause I have IS at 420mm interesting.

I am looking forward to going out with this combo and giving it a go.

Anyone shooting like this, or have shot with this combo.

When I first bought my 450d I bought a 70-300mm f4 to go with it, but since I have sold the 450d and bought the 50d I never used it. I put a 1.4 kenko on it to-day after reading an article regarding shooting with this combo. I had already adjusted the 70-300mm with the micro adjustment in the 50d to +4 AF, do you think I should try a micro adjustment with 1.4 kenko fitted, do you think this would make any difference. Its reading f5 with center point AF and of cause I have IS at 420mm interesting.

I am looking forward to going out with this combo and giving it a go.

Anyone shooting like this, or have shot with this combo.

You mean the 70-300 4.5-5.6? It won't autofocus with a 1.4 T/C unless you tape the pins. I tried it on my wife's 70-300 IS and whilst it sometimes autofocused to be honest cropping gives a better image.........

Its not 100% on AF but I have not got the pins taped, I tried 800 ISO did not like that at all, I went 400 ISO and seems to behaving itself. I took this image in the garden to test it out, BTW the little round white spots are Elder Berry's out of focus, this image is uncropped, like every lens its all about how close you get to your subject. Not to bad, for some reason it not picking up the TC on the exif also if I came back off full zoom the AF worked much better. I suppose really, I am trying to make a case for using this lens more, seeing as I have not in the past, because I have been thinking about selling it.

Attachments

• sparrow70-3009x6.jpg
    sparrow70-3009x6.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 78
I don't get why you'd want to put a tc on this lens, if you want more reach surely you'd use your 400 f5.6 which will give much better IQ and should focus much faster and more acurately. If you don't use the lens why not just get it sold, if you're anything like me you'll soon find something else to spend the money on!

I don't get why you'd want to put a tc on this lens, if you want more reach surely you'd use your 400 f5.6 which will give much better IQ and should focus much faster and more acurately. If you don't use the lens why not just get it sold, if you're anything like me you'll soon find something else to spend the money on!

I know you are probably right, I have just been making a excuse to use it, but being a zoom it would still be useful even with the 1.4 tc on when you see a butterfly or a dragonfly. What sort of price are they fetching now in perfect order of cause.

You mean the 70-300 4.5-5.6? It won't autofocus with a 1.4 T/C unless you tape the pins. I tried it on my wife's 70-300 IS and whilst it sometimes autofocused to be honest cropping gives a better image.........
I do not think there is any need to tape the pins on this lens because it has not got the necessary pins to report a tc to the camera therefore it will attempt to AF without taping. Canon never intended this lens to be used with a tc which is why a Canon tc will not fit and the reporting pins are missing.
I suspect IQ would be pretty poor with a tc even if you manually focused, like you say cropping or even upresing would be better.

Thanks for that Roy, I was scratching my head why the TC was not showing on the exif.
I think I will sell it and buy a fixed portrait lens

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back