• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aaaargh ! (1 Viewer)

JohnZ

Once again I went to Elmley today. Unfortunately once again my camera had decided to switch itself to the manual mode. So when I got home I had taken a lot of rubbish shots. I have now stuck a very large piece of masking tape over the offending wheel thing in the vain hope that this may not happen again.
If I can find a Nikon camera that does not allow this to happen I swear I will buy it. I may then possibly send this to Canon, again in the vain hope, that they may follow suit !

Odd - my mode wheel has never slipped at all (not once) save when my own fingers have nudged it onto the wrong mode (and oh is that painfull to come back to when you get home and look at the shots).

All I can say is try to set your LCD to review the shots with the histogram displaying and remember to chimp (look at the shots) from time to time to make sure the exposures are coming out right.

Thank you very much Overread. I am just very disappointed that, once again, I have gone all that way only to find a load of rubbish shots.

What a bummer John why not shoot in manual mode , that way if it slips it will be to an auto mode.

I have never had this happen myself but as I regularly check the exposure histogram I would hope to pick it up fairly quick if it did happen.

p.s hope you did not miss any rarities.

John, Why not leave it on manual mode, I now shoot most of my shots in manual, much better, even for BIF, not shot many birds this summer, will do this winter...

I check my camera settings very 5 minutes, so it would not happen to me.

you could always drill a hole in it and put a peg in :-O have fun

BTW Roy C encouraged me to shoot Manual, and I am glad he did.

Roy, No I did not miss anything special. It is just so bloody annoying ! I realise that I should have noticed but clearly I didn`t.
Terry, I may well take your advice and put a peg in !

I have the same problem on the D80. When I pull it out of the bag in a hurry to get a shot, the dial sometimes moves to something other than aperture priority. I've had shutter priority (I get "bulb" flashing on the screen), and various scene modes where you can't use exposure compensation.

By the time I've found out what's happened, I've often missed or messed up the shot.

The expensive "professional" cameras don't use a scene selection dial, as they don't have scene selection modes.

Happens to me with the Canon 40D as well - more so with the 40D than the 20D when carried by the strap slung over my left shoulder. I think the selector dial must sometimes catch my arm/side.

I am glad it`s not only me then. But still very annoying.

My 40D almost needs Mole grips to change the settings though somehow manages to come out of the bag on manual!

Like others I check after each shot, mainly to delete all my rubbish shots on the go. :eek!:

Why not try the Canon 1D mkII? Not vastly expensive and no way of accidentally changing setings. It takes 2 or three fingers on buttons and/or wheels to change any setting. Although it's looking a little dated at only 8.5MP and with a small LCD for reviewing shots, it's still used by a number of top pros like Danny Green.

Happens regularly on my 40D as well. I have now got into the habit that the first thing I do after turning the camera on is to check the mode setting to make sure it is on aperture priority.

Good news is that it never happens when I am out and about - the dial seems to mysteriously move whilst in the camera bag!

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes but it is still annnoying.

Chris

As a matter of interest I tried the dial on my brother's 30D. My god it was stiff! No way that could move on it's own but at the same time it was very diffcult to adjust it without really getting a good grip and putting some effort in. So if you wanted to change mode in a hurry like I quite often do it would soon become a frustration.

It's obviously something Canon changed with the 40D but loosening up the friction makes a certain amount of sense with the new custom modes they added. If you have custom settings saved for different shooting situations you may have to quickly change from Av or manual to any one of these, sometimes without looking away from the viewfinder.
But I still maintain it wouldn't take much for a little locking switch like I suggested on my own thread about this ages ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back