• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too early for orchard orioles in Chicago?? (1 Viewer)

suef

This morning we saw what we thought was a male orchard oriole---is it too early to see one in Chicago? We don't know what else it could've been. Thanks!

HI Suef,

Sounds very early (I would guess too early) - I wouldn't expect them for another month here in the North East - late April is possible but usually they show up in the first week of May. Is it possible it was an Eastern Towhee?

Luke

Last edited:
Hi Luke,
Thanks for the reply; I should've been more specific; since I meant a first year male (yellow), and it was definitely too big to be a goldfinch. This is my 2nd spring of feeding birds and I really don't know when "spring" migration begins here in the Midwest, nor who I may see. This is also the first time I've replied to a msg. and wasn't sure if I was supposed to clear out your msg. before I replied?? Don't you love new members??!! Thanks again.
Sue

Sue, it's possible (almost anything is) but improbable. However, if you think it was and looked it up in something like Sibley's, there is a chance you were correct.

Jerry
Hoffman Estates, IL (Cook Co.) USA (your neighbor in a way)

Hi Jerry and Sue,

I'd lean heavily against Orchard Oriole (they're not likely to be on the move yet and they don't tend to hang around in the US over winter - CBC counts only register them in CA and TX this year for example - so i'd be questioning the idea of ticking this bird). More likely would be an overwintering Baltimore Oriole (female type) as they can survive fairly far north at feeders. Hopefully it'll return and you can get another look at it Sue.

Good luck - Luke

Thanks for the replies, guys; unfortunately the bird didn't come back; I've put out orange halves and grapes just in case and I'll keep an eye out. Jerry, it's nice to hear from someone so close! When does our spring migration basically start here in Chicago? Beginning of April, mid-April, end of April? I'm pretty clueless about this. Thanks!

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back