• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slimbridge.Worth a visit? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I am considering visiting the wildlife & wetlands trust at Slimbridge probably early next month.

I have no idea what to expect as I have no knowledge of the place.Anyone been recently? Is it worth visiting? What would I be likely to see?

I haven't been recently, but yes, it is certainly worth seeing. Maybe someone else can fill you in on what is likely to be there at this time of year.

Whilst I always think that January and February are the best months to pay a visit as the wild Geese and Swans are present in their maximum numbers an early April visit should still be worthwhile. You will also be able to get close range view of several American ducks in the captive section to enable to you to brush up your id skills for when you see them in the wild. Roger

Never been but it is one of the WWT flagships sites and from the website there is a virtual tour of the place.
If its anywhere as good as Martin Mere it will be a day well spent.

Its a very good place also there is a captive birds place that the rest of the family will enjoy if you take them with you

I may have been spoilt by the fabulous WWT reserve at Penclacwydd in West Wales (I visit monthly, even though it is a 3 hr round trip), but I have been disappointed with Slimbridge for the last 3-4 years.

I have made annual pilgrimage there for winter geese for the year list, but have never found any great general birding success in the summer months - and last winter even went to Caerlaverlock WWT for the Geese for a change,which was amazing.

Although it was the first WWT reserve, I personally feel that recent development work has focussed on making the site user friendly to the general (non-birding) public with the facilities for dedicated birders given less priority.

If you do go you need to check the high tide times to get the most from the hide overlooking the estuary, and if you phone the reserve (01453 890333) one of the menu options (option 1 then option 3) is for the wild bird report which details current sightings.

If you are there on a weekend do a Landrover Safari. This is a great opportunity to see the whole reserve. Time your visit so you are there for high tide. The summer walkway will be open soon. If a rarity is on the reserve everything will be done to get all observers onto the bird.
Become a member while you are there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back