• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

Sunday morning brought more promising weather - fresh northeast winds and some persistent drizzle - for a walk around the valley with Don Sutherland, who was visiting from the US.

As we arrived in Tai Om a grey-brown flycatcher silhouetted atop a dead tree flicked out before we could confirm its ID, and while we were waiting two juvenile Sooty Flycatchers tumbled onto a wire just a few metres away. Assuming that one of the was our original bird we headed up the valley, scoring early with a band of Greater Necklaced Laughingthrushes including one that had the good manners to preen in plain sight underneath the canopy of a small tree. The path up the valley had been newly cleared, but there were not too many birds except brief views of a Crested Serpent Eagle until a small group of Rufous-capped Babblers and a Mountain Tailorbird responded wonderfully to some pishing and came to investigate us from close quarters in the ruined village, and a Silver-eared Mesia put in a brief appearance.

On the way down a Crested Goshawk was was giving its characteristic wing-flicking fluffy-undertail display, and a Grey-streaked Flycatcher, which is what I had suspected the first bird we saw to be. An oddity on a collapse banana tree was my first ever leaf-cutter bee, complete with leaf.

As we passed Tai Om village a funeral was underway that included a venerable and uniformed four piece brass band that mangled "Abide with me" and a couple of other old standards before giving way to the more usual cymbal clashers. However, being birder the sight of a fine pair of Scarlet Minivets soon distracted our attention. And as we passed the house of the (former) dog that bit me a Besra drifted over before a superb Black-naped Oriole swooped over before perching scope-ably (if that 's a word) in a fruiting fig tree.

Our next stop was Lung A Pai, where we stopped to photograph a fine mural showing Crested Mynas while waiting for a pair of cheerfully growing White-cheeked Laughingthrushes to show themselves. The real highlight here was a superbly photogenic hairstreak butterfly - a Purple Sapphire, whose bright golden yellow underwings were set off perfectly by the yellow marigold on which it chose to pose (although the sharpest pic was after it flipped onto a leaf). Here we also had a flock of 50-odd minivets in a couple of sizes, of which only Scarlets were calling. However they remained frustrating distant and silhouetted, making any further ID impossible.

Over at She Shan a couple of Swintail Snipe were on the same marshy patch as the day before and a lone Richard's Pipit sowed on the shorter grass along with several Zitting Cisticolas and a Pallas' Grasshopper Warbler. This was the start of a bit of a purple patch. While we stood there a Black-winged Cuckooshrike flooped over before circling back to land in the giant bamboo by the river, and as were crossed the river a Dollarbird appeared from nowhere on the wires some 25 metres away. As the rain got heavier we sheltered under a tree and picked out a Hair-crested Drongo gracing a distant telegraph wire. As we stepped out we noticed a superb adult Crested Serpent Eagle sitting out the rain giving us great views before becoming camera shy and seeking better shelter in a tree canopy . . . and as it disappeared four Black-naped Orioles and another Black-winged Cuckooshrike dropped out of the sky and into a tree right in front of us.

And that was it for the morning. Don came away with 15 new species plus the hairstreak, which was my personal bird of the day - which is admittedly a bit perverse on a day when migrants were literally falling out of the sky!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7733 leaf-cutter bee bf.jpg
    DSCN7733 leaf-cutter bee bf.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN7735 mural crested myna bf.jpg
    DSCN7735 mural crested myna bf.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN7750 Purple Sapphire bf.jpg
    DSCN7750 Purple Sapphire bf.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN7754 Dollarbird bf.jpg
    DSCN7754 Dollarbird bf.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hi Gretchen

The purple is on the upperwing and is not nearly as dramatic as the red and gold underwing, so its a pretty average name for a real stunner!

A late start on Sunday was unduly rewarded. Having got up at 0630 and enjoyed my first Black Drongo of the autumn in the valley, the first of a small group that eventually reached a total of five I completely failed to get out of the house until 0930. It would be nice to be able to claim that I was fascinated watching three Koels gorging on a windfall papaya and getting the briefest of views of a Dusky Warbler lurking in the bushes behind them but actually I just dithered.

When I did finally get out of the house I found several Grey Wagtails on way down to Pak Tin Kong, heard a Mountain Tailorbird and had brief views of a female Siberian Stonechat. The little marsh across the She Shan Road held eight Richard’s Pipits and five Cattle Egrets and a mass of dragonflies, but no snipe, or other goodies.

A Yellow-browed Warbler was in the big tree by the path up to the road

The real highlight of the day was the tree nursery. Winding my way between the frames and wires I found first a juvenile Sooty Flycatcher, then two Asian Brown Flycatchers, an elegantly attenuated Grey-streaked Flycatcher and a Red-throated Flycatcher – a terrific set to pick up in an area little bigger than 50 square metres. I was able to get pictures of all but the Red-throated, which I have posted below. They provide a fine comparison of a group that can sometimes confuse new birders, especially when views are less than ideal.

Other birds here included male and female Siberian Stonechats and nest-building by a species I have decided to dub “Green-tailed Wydah”. Anybody think they might know why? Answer next week.

As time ran out I headed across to the Teal Pond, picking up my first Olive-backed Pipit of the autumn, two more Black Drongos, another Dusky Warbler and a bunch of Fan-tailed Warblers on the way. Nothing responded to my pishing on the pond, but a swintail snipe was feeding out in the open on the small wet field that had been planted with watercress (where I hope some day to pick up all manner of crakes, rails, Pained Snipe and even – limitless ambition - patch bogey birds Red-throated Pipit and Wood Sandpiper!)

And finally . . . as I got ready for work this morning a couple of Javan Mongoose were creeping along the edge of the veggie patch.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7829 Black Drongo bf.jpg
    DSCN7829 Black Drongo bf.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN7855 Sooty Fly bf.jpg
    DSCN7855 Sooty Fly bf.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN7862 Asian Brown Fly bf.jpg
    DSCN7862 Asian Brown Fly bf.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN7864 Grey-streaked Flycatcher bf.jpg
    DSCN7864 Grey-streaked Flycatcher bf.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN7877 Swintail bf.jpg
    DSCN7877 Swintail bf.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 73
I think I have a good idea what your wydahs are... I am yet to see a mongoose- that is a very productive veggie patch. Have your identified you resident raptor yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for the fly catcher pics - I'm still pretty much only seeing Asian Brown's I think. I'm still waiting to see some more spectacular looking fly-catchers... Any clues as to the pertinent features between Sooty and Brown? I had one a few weeks ago that I wasn't quite decided on between those two.

Hi Gretchen

I've attached picture which will serve as a better comparison between Asian Brown and Sooty Flycatchers.

The key features of comparison are:

Overall colour impression:
Asian Brown: Pale grey-brown
Sooty: Dark sooty-brown

Pattern of breast:
Asian Brown: variable but generally an even wash
Sooty: chequerboard of heavy broad speckles

Neck collar and throat:
Asian Brown: No neck collar and little contrast between throat and neck sides
Sooty: strongly contrasting white half-collar between hood and breast pattern and bright white throat patch

Structure:
Asian Brown: Long tailed (long tail to wing ration)
Sooty:shorter tail (short tail to wing ratio)

Hope you get a chance to make the comparison soon . . .

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7860 Sooty Fly 2 bf.jpg
    DSCN7860 Sooty Fly 2 bf.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 70
Mike, thanks so much! If all of them were as clear as your pictures...! Your picture makes me think the breast of the one I saw was much too plain to be Sooty. The comparison points are quite helpful - especially the wing projection which I've not noticed before, but obviously should make it much easier to tell them apart. Your pictures show the collar contrast more clearly than I had noticed in illustrations before.

Thanks again for your time!

I have been pleased to see both a Daurian Redstart and an Ashy Minivet while out of doors the last few days - both birds which are supposed to be easy I guess, but my first minivet locally (I think) and the first redstart in a long time.

Glad to be of help Gretchen - and I envy you your Ashy Minivet - they're pretty rare in autumn in HK.

A good morning on the patch as a second clear day and good NE winds dropped a bunch of migrants on the valley, giving me two new patch birds.

Even before leaving the village a Black Drongo flew over heading steadily SW, and on entering the grassland at She Shan I flushed a couple each of Olive-backed and Richards Pipits, and had an unidentified skylark scuttle away through the grass. Two more Black Drongos also went by overhead, showing similar determination of purpose as the first bird of the morning.

While I was waiting for one of the pipits to disappear five Yellow-breasted Buntings flew over and landed on a nearby tree. Eventually they dropped out into some tall seeding grass but were being a bit coy about giving me a clear shot. While I was standing there I was gifted my first patch tick of the day - a Hoopoe flew directly over my head giving brief but unforgettable views of its broad,rounded well-striped wings and the long slender bill.

Having failed to relocate the lark I headed on and a few minutes later flushed
two Eurasian Skylarks for my second patch tick. In flight they showed the clear trailing edge and long tails that help to separate Eurasian and Oriental Skylarks. I eventually had views of one bird on the deck, but never on a clear enough patch to allow me to check out the primary projection, which is another good feature.

The grassland also held at least five Bright-capped Cisticolas, a couple of Fantail Warblers, three Siberian Stonechats and at least one Little Bunting, while the biggest flock of Yellow-breasted Buntings reached seven birds.

In the tree nursery there were two Grey-streaked Flycatchers, an Asian Brown and a Sooty Flycatcher, plus a Yellow-browed Warbler and two or three more Olive-backed Pipits.

As I waited for the bus a Hobby made a brief appearance overhead. This is peak season for Amur Falcon - a species I've never seen in the valley, but this bird was much too swift-like and sickle-winged to be a serious contender for my third patch tick of the morning. As I arrived home I had very nice views of a calling Crested Serpent Eagle. A few minutes later another CSE was briefly mobbed by what I think was another Hobby, which disappeared as I dashed for my bins.

The butterfly rejoices in the splendid vernacular name of Punchinello

As I type this a helicopter is hovering overhead illuminating the upper slopes of the valley with a spotlight - it was there 90 minutes ago and at that stage I could see occasional flashes of torchlight from the mountain, so either more than one person is lost or the initial search was unsuccessful. A sobering thought as I always think the valley is a pretty benign place.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7896 Richard's She Shan bf.jpg
    DSCN7896 Richard's She Shan bf.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN7914 Yellow-breasted Bunting bf.jpg
    DSCN7914 Yellow-breasted Bunting bf.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN7907 Tailless Crested Bulbul bf.jpg
    DSCN7907 Tailless Crested Bulbul bf.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN7924 juv Scaly-breasted Munia bf.jpg
    DSCN7924 juv Scaly-breasted Munia bf.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN7929 Punchinello bf.jpg
    DSCN7929 Punchinello bf.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 46
More passage through the valley today, the highlights being a second Japanese Quail of the autumn and a pair of Chestnut-eared Buntings, both of which were on the grassed-over dumpsite at She Shan.

The same area held four Eurasian Skylarks, four Siberian Stonechats, ten Richard's Pipits, and two Asian Brown Flycatchers. A walk along the river brought my total of Dusky Warblers to nine and also delivered a Green Sandpiper, an adult Crested Serpent Eagle and singing Mountain Tailorbirds.

Back home in Ping Long I was treated to a wonderful cameo in the veggie patch this afternoon. A Javan Mongoose, tried unsuccessfully to stalk and catch a juvenile Chinese Pond Heron. Every time it approached the CPH took off and, startled by the white wings, the mongoose scampered back to the fence line.

These antics attracted the attention of a flock of Crested Mynas, a couple of Black-collared Starlings, the first two Red-billed Starlings of the autumn and the juvenile Greater Coucal that has been mooching around the veggie patch for the last couple of months. This created a major case of nerves in the mongoose and eventually it disappeared for good. I was delighted to finally get a shot of it and I love the pic of the cautious-but curious Crested Mynas.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7932 Chestnut-eared Buntings bf.jpg
    DSCN7932 Chestnut-eared Buntings bf.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN7949 Green Sandpiper bf.jpg
    DSCN7949 Green Sandpiper bf.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN7961 J Mongoose & CPH bf.jpg
    DSCN7961 J Mongoose & CPH bf.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN7955 Javan Mongoose bf.jpg
    DSCN7955 Javan Mongoose bf.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN7972 Crested Mynahs bf.jpg
    DSCN7972 Crested Mynahs bf.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 57
Vicarious birding

Still like your patch, you are very lucky to have this wonderful place to bird right out the door. Wish I could have been there.
Peace,
Don

Last edited:
Interesting to see some of the same birds between yours and Dongbei's lists - migrants are stretching across the whole area I guess.

I like the myna picture very much! It was great to capture the mongoose and heron and the drama sounds quite interesting. I hadn't thought of a mongoose going after a heron... but sounds like it wasn't particularly confident about it. Sounds like nice days to be out and about.

Mike, a wonderful bit of photography and a pleasure to read as always. Interesting to hear about what's arriving by you. We are in a very cold front at the moment which should send some more your way.

Tom

the agony and the ecstasy

I was working at home yesterday afternoon and while staring out the window in search of inspiration (ok ok it was through my bins) at about 5:15 I saw a distant blob on the power lines above the next valley over.

Normally this would simply have been a Dollarbird, but since we haven't had any for almost a month I pulled out the scope, whacked up the zoom and was just abut able to discern a white cheek and throat, and long slender primaries of a falcon . . .

As I mention every year about this time my top target bird for late autumn is Amur Falcon - a species that likes power lines almost as much as Dollarbirds - and after calling Dylan and getting him onto I grabbed a taxi and zoomed (agonizingly slowly through the rush hour traffic lights) over to Lin Au to see if I could confirm it.

When I got as close as the cab would go I marched off up a path until I was right under the lines and was delighted to pick out the bird less than 150 metres away, moved further along the path to get it against the sky in the fast-fading light, swiftly put up my scope and . . . it was gone. A cock-up of the first order. Disappointed I jumped back in the cab and rushed home to change for a work dinner, rushed out again and arrived with two minutes to spare and a sense of frustration at myself for missing out on a monster patch tick. Falco sp. untickable at more than a kilometre distant. End of story.

An early meeting the next morning meant that I would have no chance to go back and look for the bird, and there was no sign of it as I scoped along the wires at first light. But since my mate Martin had seen 15 birds arriving together at Mai Po on Sunday evening and my other mate John had got great pix the next morning I went up on the roof to scan the other powerlines that mark the outer fringes of the northern end of the patch. Up above the giant cemetery at Wo Hop Shek (just over the ridgeline - but at least 3 km away!) I found some anomalous blobs on the wire and on zooming in discovered I had struck gold with no less than seven specklike but nonetheless identifiable Amur Falcons! At that range it was pretty hard to make anything out, but as the birds preened the long wings and fanned tail could be seen - which definitely discounted Dollarbird, while the fact that there were seven together and Hobbies are not known for migrating in flocks gave me enough to satisfy the Lam Tsuen Records Committee (LTRC) (me and Dylan), and even a member of the HK records committee on an over-the phone consultation.

The only outstanding question was if they could be included in the patch list since the power lines in question are above, but just the wrong side of, the ridgeline (by less than 100 metres). I am delighted to report that the LTRC made the highly objective and dispassionate decision to accept the record as occurring within the recording area, thereby allow me to bring my patch list to a splendid 215 species!

Looks like I might be enjoying 7/1,800ths of the flock you had at Laotieshan a week or so ago Tom !

Cheers
Mike

gave me enough to satisfy the Lam Tsuen Records Committee (LTRC) (me and Dylan),

I am delighted to report that the LTRC made the highly objective and dispassionate decision to accept the record as occurring within the recording area, thereby allow me to bring my patch list to a splendid 215 species!
Mike

:t::-O:clap:

H

In addition to the excitement of the Amur Falcons there have been a few more newly arriving migrants and winter visitors birds this week. For me the most iconic bird of the winter is Chinese Blackbird - and there were two at Pak Tin Kong this morning, which appeared out of a big tree that had just disgorged 15 splendid Hair-crested Drongos. AnAshy Drongo at Lung a Pai and a briefly heard Russet Bush Warbler were the other new arrivals.

There were also a few new migrants - Asian Brown Flycatcher and Red-throated Flycatcher were in the tree nursery and there were single Black-browed Reed Warblers in two different spots. Four unidentified buntings failed to co-operate by landing where they could be seen, but I had hopes of a Black-headed Bunting as there were two at Long Valley yesterday (one of which I saw this afternoon, along with a fly-through female Amur Falcon).

Another nice surprise was the Moorhen, that was picking its way along the waterlogged channel between two newly-turned chrysanthemum beds.

Yesterday I heard and then briefly saw a Japanese Bush Warbler in the long grass next to the veggie patch, which I believe is the first to be seen in HK this winter. Its call was a bit unusual - a distinctive dry, but not harsh, rattle that I could not find on Xeno Canto. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Earlier this week I also had a Common Kingfisher speeding away along the stream next to the cherry orchard, and there have been a couple of Asian Barred Owlets and a Collared Scops calling regularly for the last few nights.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, congrats on the Amurs! You are right about them and power lines. Could very easily have been some of the same ones that passed here. Wonderful news.

Tom

Thanks for the multiple congratulations on the Amur Falcons!

Another good day on the patch with lots more migrants showing up.

Four Black-browed Reed Warblers was more than all my previous records in the valley combined, two Red-throated Flycatchers was one more than yesterday, An Oriental Turtle Dove zipped over and back a couple of times, a female Chestnut Bunting dropped in to a patch of bushes that I struggled to pish a couple of Japanese Bush Warblers out of and a Wryneck was perched helpfully on a phone wire.

But the real stars were four Red-throated Pipits which dropped onto the newly cut grasslands and were feeding with a Eurasian Skylark and several Richard's Pipits - the seventh patch tick in six weeks and the biggest gap in my patch list along with Wood Sandpiper.

I also had good counts of Dusky Warblers - 16 and Siberian Stonechats - 12, and with all this passage going on I'm a bit surprised we haven't picked up any rarities. Not that I'm complaining!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
I was awake early this morning and attracted by the scoldings of a flock of Masked Laughingthrush crammed on the canes from which the Crested Mynas had been mobbing the Javan Mongoose a few days earlier. I couldn't see anything and went up on the roof for an Amur scan of the power lines and noticed that a group of Black-collared Starlings had joined in the scolding - but I still couldn't see anything.

A Chinese Blackbird flew over giving the signature call of the winter I enjoy so much, but when I turned back the snout of a rather uncertain-looking juvenile Wild Boar emerged out of the grass, followed by about half of the rest of it, before it became fearful about being so exposed and ducked back into the grasses and disappeared.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back