• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog from South Africa (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

Can anyone help with this frog, photographed in St Lucia, South Africa this August?

Regards

Steve

Attachments

• frogsmall.jpg
    frogsmall.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 38
I don't have a decent field guide to frogs of SA but it looks like a Painted Reed Frog (Hyperolius marmoratus). There are several subspecies, yours looks like H. m. taeniatus although you will have to check it's in range.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I don't have a decent field guide to frogs of SA but it looks like a Painted Reed Frog (Hyperolius marmoratus). There's several subspecies, yours looks like H. m. taeniatus although you will have to check it's on range.

Hope this helps.

It looks like my frog. Many thanks Mike.

Kelvin,
I note upon Googling that the various forms of Reed Frog seem mto retain the same scientific name whilst having a different common name i.e Marbled or Painted?

Are these two Hyperolius marmoratus as I previously thought?

Both taken in a toilet block in Zambia.

Cheers, Andy

Attachments

• Angolan Reed Frog 2.jpg
    Angolan Reed Frog 2.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Angolan Reed Frog.jpg
    Angolan Reed Frog.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Answers (however the book is 1979, so no guarantees that there have not been changes since). The last photo looks like Guttural (or Common, Square-marked or Leopard) Toad - Bufo gutteralis - at first glance. As for Hyperolius frogs -Painted is also called Marbled or Spotted Reed Frog - H. marmoratus - various subspecies in Africa, largely distinguished by which is the most abundant morph in any area. The striped form from St Lucia is H. m. taeniatus, the book doesn't list forms from other African countries.

Answers (however the book is 1979, so no guarantees that there have not been changes since). The last photo looks like Guttural (or Common, Square-marked or Leopard) Toad - Bufo gutteralis - at first glance. As for Hyperolius frogs -Painted is also called Marbled or Spotted Reed Frog - H. marmoratus - various subspecies in Africa, largely distinguished by which is the most abundant morph in any area. The striped form from St Lucia is H. m. taeniatus, the book doesn't list forms from other African countries.

Many thanks

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back