• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysian Borneo: Lizard, Snake Snail (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
1. Is this Lizard just Green-crested Lizard?
2. What's this lizard?
3. And this one?
4. The guide told me the name of this snake, but I've forgotten. She said it wasn't usually yellow and had maybe just changed its skin. Maybe Red-tailed Green Ratsnake?
5. Bonus points for knowing what this snail is!

Attachments

• 160502148 GCL.jpg
    160502148 GCL.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 160502139 Lizard A.jpg
    160502139 Lizard A.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 40
  • 160505250 Lizard B.jpg
    160505250 Lizard B.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 160504110 Snake.jpg
    160504110 Snake.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 160503141 Snail.jpg
    160503141 Snail.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 26
I've decided that the first lizard is just Green Crested Lizard Bronchocela cristatella. The lizard in picture three is a Gecko, maybe Frilly House Gecko. Asian Vine looks good for the snake. The snail will have to look after itself.

But I'd really like to know the lizard in photo 2. The only thing like it that I have been able to find in online searches is the Leaf-nosed Agama? Anyone?

I've done a bit more research (including finding online a species list from Sukau for 1990-2005) and have concluded that the other lizard vertically against a tree trunk is Flying Lizard.

Thanks for all your help.

I've done a bit more research (including finding online a species list from Sukau for 1990-2005) and have concluded that the other lizard vertically against a tree trunk is Flying Lizard.

Thanks for all your help.

I agree, one of those that can raise a colourful flap on it's throat.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Since you seem familiar with the area, I wonder if you have any opinion on the squirrels I posted, especially the brown-backed one and the one I now think is a Treeshrew.

And I posted pictures of two bats, but even if you don't know which they are, I wonder if you can tell from the nests in the third picture if they are Black Nest Swiftlets (the nests look black) or not. I'm sure our guide told us, but like many first-time visitors, I didn't know what to pay particular attention to, and Gomantong is pretty overwhelming anyway (we found it fascinating, others we spoke to simply found it repulsive).

The nest look like edible to me I think, bats are almost impossible without an in hand exam or a bat detector.

Andy

Last edited:
I agree, one of those that can raise a colourful flap on it's throat.

Andy

This is certainly a Gliding Lizard, Genus Draco. Unfortunately they're almost impossible to identify down to species level without seeing the patterns on either the dewlap (the flap on the throat) or the 'wings' (the flaps of skin between the front and hind legs), or preferably both.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back