• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID - Devon (1 Viewer)

Hi Laurie,

It could be - but I would expect to be able to see some yellow to the sides of the abdomen...

Another possibility is Scarce Chaser, but not sure if that is present in your area...

Any other pics?

Rgds.... Ray

Thanks Ray. No other pics I'm afraid. It was 10m away and obscured by vegetation. I thought that the abdomen possibly looks too thin for Scarce Chaser.

A bit of a clincher would be whether the wing bases are transparent (BT Skimmer) or dark (Scarce Chaser) but I can't really make it out on the pic - the dark thorax isn't helping! Definitely one or the other I reckon!

Here's a pic of a male BT Skimmer, and I would expect to see some evidence of the yellow abdominal sides if that's what yours is.... My 2p bet would be on Scarce Chaser personally, but with less than 100% confidence, as know how variable dragonflies and damselflies can be!

If you don't have any luck on here, you could always try the British Dragonfly Society - they run an id service...

Good luck! Ray

Attachments

• Black-tailed Skimmer(s).jpg
    Black-tailed Skimmer(s).jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 58
Good luck - and be interested if you do get a definitive answer....

By no means sure myself, as general 'feel' does suggest BT Skimmer...just keep coming back to the yellow sides....but maybe the pic being taken into the light isn't helping to show that...

Hmm.... Not too happy about this, so doing a bit of further research....

Coincidently, here's a pic that I took yesterday....

If you blow it up, you can just about see a tiny trace of yellow, but scarcely there at all, and all other features of this one point to BT Skimmer, so happy now that is what yours is too!

Rgds.... Ray

Attachments

• Bt Skimmer.jpg
    Bt Skimmer.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 63
Glad we all got there in the finish!

Just noticed actually that SC have a dark smudge on the wing-tips that BTS lack... always good to have as many field marks as possible I reckon - not always easy to get a photo that will show them all!

Attachments

• Scarce Chaser - Dalyan - 28th May 2011_filtered.jpg
    Scarce Chaser - Dalyan - 28th May 2011_filtered.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 58
The dark wing-tip smudge in Scarce Chaser only applies to females. What Ruby has shown is a female (check the anal appendages) that has developed male-like colouration. An interesting shot!
Adrian

Oops! Should check my books more carefully before replying. Some males (though not all) can also show the dark wing tips! Ruby's photo is however still a female.
Adrian

Yes, I spotted that.... although my books (all illustrated by Lewington, so not really surprising that they should all concur) suggest that only some males might show the dark wing tips, and it does appear to be much smaller than on females, and certainly smaller and less significant than the ones on my pic...so that alone might suggest it to be a female.

Must say that I hadn't previously noticed any of this myself - I'd just taken a cursory look at a blue insect and wrongly assumed it to be a male.... It just goes to show how tricky dragonfly ids can be.... Not only are major field-marks unreliable, but cross-dressing too!!!:eek!:

Just for interest, this is what a female Scarce Chaser is supposed to look like - what chance have you got in the field!!

All the best..... Ray

Attachments

• Scarce Chaser (fs).jpg
    Scarce Chaser (fs).jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Restricted I know but a male showing black tips. Partly my fault that this thread started as I was being a bit too pedantic with Laurie on Twitter! Apologies!!

Attachments

• P1020548.JPG
    P1020548.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 52
Was just pointing out from the photo that certain ID was impossible but that I agreed.

Laurie - that individual was netted and held a while to confirm ID (very close to a VC first). After being held with folded wings they will often sit a while to recompose themselves. No good for nice photos though as they almost always show a little tell tale bowing of the wings.

O

Unless you ever get the chance to meet the amazing Sympetrum depressiusculum........... then they just sit on you!

Attachments

• P1020763.JPG
    P1020763.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back