• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Software (1 Viewer)

LezH

I've read all the bird ID posts with interest and was impressed with how much others seem to know (and saddened by how little I do). Nevertheless, I'm the family expert because I can usually get a bit nearer than 'big and black' or 'small and green'.

It was when my daughter asked me today what I thought a sparrow-sized brown job with yellowish underparts might be ('sparrow' sprang immediately to mind!) which she'd seen in her Kentish Town garden that caused me to wonder if there's a sort of multi-choice bird ID computer program available. If not, there oughta be.

A user-friendly application where you can 'build-a-bird' by clicking on icons (size, beak shape, tail length, head colour, leg colour, where/when seen etc.) and which, by a process of electronic elimination leads you to a small selection of relevant library images from which you can choose the bird you spotted sounds like a great idea to me.

If one such exists I'd appreciate details and user reviews; if not, some of you experts need to get busy! There's money to be made I feel.

A by-product of using a program like this, especially by the casual birder such as myself, is that it would help train the eye what to look for instead of always being in overview mode - which would result in even more enjoyment on country/shoreline walks at the very least.

What do you think?

Identikit birding I like the idea, although if you see some of the photos that are produced that way, for criminals, I think there would be a fair few claims of new species!

You're right there, Ashley! :)

I actually had in mind links pointing to a comprehensive database of images as a result of the user's input rather than producing your own identikits of stealthy warblers with masks and bags of swag on their backs - but there could certainly be a fun 'build-a-bird' section; a sort of Ornithological Rogues Gallery!

I have to say I enjoy flicking through a book much more than I would a database! if you can even flick through one of those. But it is a nice idea.

Hi Ashley

I agree that books are more satisfying but the two needn't be mutually exclusive. Say, for instance, I had spotted a pied wagtail but didn't know what it was; I'd click the various buttons in the program which would narrow down the search and throw up a list of links. I could click on them, check out the images, choose the nearest and then look them up in my Collins or whatever and 'read all abaht it'.
Double the pleasure, don't you think?

Lez

Funnily enough there is an identikit program - well almost !

The Birdguides CD-ROM's such as British Birds carry a feature where you can tick off different fetures of a bird that you've seen and it does a database search and brings back a list of possibles.

I certainly like the Birdguides CD-ROMs, there is a seires of them varying in price and quite good for video clips too.

Here's the site
Birdguides

The Birdguides (www.birdguides.com) software does have a feature like this where you can input size and a few other features and it will come up with suggestions. It is by no means perfect, but might be worth a look.

Robin

As you say, Robin, the BirdGuides disc feature - What Bird is That? - is not perfect, but I've found it to be quite accurate on many occasions, having tested it numerous times.

And I'm not just saying this because I work for them. Or rather worked for them, as it's my last day today.

Lez

I have had the Birdguides programme for years and it contains many features in it (including what bird is it). I would highly recommend this programme to you, but it is expensive.

I might have a solution. I have an old 5 CD set for sale. Depending on what system you are using (it won't work on Windows XP) and I am prepared to let it go for £40. I have the new DVD version so don't need the 5 CD set any more. The set I have covers all the British and European birds and comes with video clips, narrations, bird songs and calls, and also a birding data base. ( I have put all my bird sightings on this and as long as you are consistent with your comments you can keep all sorts of lists.

There are loads more features as well with this set. If you were to buy the new set it would set you back £120. If you were interested then PM me with your contact details.

Diane,

I wondered if you might have a comment! It is quite a good feature but the more details about the bird you have the better it is.

Robin

PS: Good luck with the new job - being made redundant is not as bad as it seems. I was "laid-off" at the end of Jan and am now working as an IT consultant based at home and picking up contracts. I can watch the birds in my garden all day.

robinm said:
Diane,

I wondered if you might have a comment! It is quite a good feature but the more details about the bird you have the better it is.

Robin

PS: Good luck with the new job - being made redundant is not as bad as it seems. I was "laid-off" at the end of Jan and am now working as an IT consultant based at home and picking up contracts. I can watch the birds in my garden all day.

As you say, the more info you can give the What Bird was That feature, the better the result. Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you have the British Birds product it will only return the birds that are on the CD, so if you see a rarity, it may not come up in the list as it would if you have the European version. I will have to test that to be sure.

I wish I could have landed a job like yours!

JohnJ - depending on the version of the product, it may work on Windows XP. Do you know what version it is - or have you already been in touch with me and been told it's not compatible? I would be willing to advise if you like, or whoever buys it. It won't say the versioin number on the product, as you know, but there is a way of telling the version, if you don't know it, by looking at the disc.

Let me know.

Lez,
Had a thought today about your 'Sparrow-sized brown job with yellow underneath' As I was having lunch, a bird of this description landed in a tree which I could just see. Leaping to me feet and grabbing the bins, I managed to get a reasonable view of it - it turned out to be a Greenfinch, facing the sun, which made the underparts look yellowish, and of course the back, being in shadow, looked brown. Is that a poossibility ?

Of course, I then had to explain to the other people in the cafe what I was doing - but that's another story.

Tony

Tony

You're obviously the guy with the gravy-stained binoculars. Bon appetit!

You could well be right about the greenfinch: I spoke to my daughter yesterday and, having watched David Attenborough's RSPB bird ID video and bought two bird books, she has come to the conclusion that it might indeed be a (by now rather expensive!) greenfinch. My only cautionary note would be, and this from a position of massive ignorance, that I don't ever remember seeing a single greenfinch: they seem such a gregarious lot - and this was just an isolated one.
Still, that it has fostered such interest is a warm and wonderful thing and I'll doubtless be receiving date-a-mate messages from lonely greenfinches everywhere.

Lez

software is nice...but...

Yes, the new types of software are nice, however the major limitation is that unless You bird with Your bin´s in one hand and a laptop in the other (and if You do, I´d realy like a photo of it!;) ), the info is not there when You realy need it; in the field...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back