• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

olympus 50-200 sharpness (1 Viewer)

Your greenfinch makes me think I can't accept this IQ, Fiol (correct name?) -- thanks for attaching it.

I would not accept it either Bob! But you need to make controlled tests using a stationary object and a tripod in good light to be certain of what the problem is.

Oh, and my name is Mattias, fiol is the swedish word for violin :)

another test of sharpness

Hello all,

I've taken your advice and done a test with my E620 + Oly 50-200 + 1.4 converter on a tripod at ISO 100 in good light (with remote shutter release, of course). A cooperative cuckoo in the Goyt Valley, Derbyshire, courtesy of the RSPB furry toys franchise.

I'm posting the result at the longest focal length: f4.9. I'm showing two different close-ups at f4.9, plus an image at f6.3 to show the full field of view (with better resolution, since it's at narrower aperture). It isn't so much the detail in the f4.9 shot that bothers me, it's the halo around the bird and the rock. Also, note the white fringing to the lower part of the bill. I get the same result with the same lens on a second-hand E510. Oddly enough there's a little bit of similar fringing (though not so much) when I use the 70-300mm too -- on both bodies.

I guess this is a lens issue, but my question is, what precisely is the problem? Could it be to do with the bright sunlight? If it's definitely a problem with the lens, would you recommend my trying to take it back to Argos for a replacement? -- given that the lens and E620 have already been back to Olympus, who supposedly fixed the wonky autofocus.

Or am I expecting too much? Admittedly I'm asking a lot here, but the halo really bothers me.

Any comments much appreciated.

Incidentally, with the E620 I tried out a legacy lens this weekend as well: the Pentax 200mm manual with the built-in lens hood, f4. Absolutely fabulous colour and sharpness at f4. I didn't use the converter, though. I can post the results (the cuckoo again, but in a different location) if anyone is interested.

Best, Bob

Attachments

• f-4.9--iso-100.jpg
    f-4.9--iso-100.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 279
  • close-up-f4.9-iso-100.gif
    close-up-f4.9-iso-100.gif
    201.1 KB · Views: 278
  • whole-frame-f7.1.gif
    whole-frame-f7.1.gif
    121.4 KB · Views: 258
Hello all,

Incidentally, with the E620 I tried out a legacy lens this weekend as well: the Pentax 200mm manual with the built-in lens hood, f4. Absolutely fabulous colour and sharpness at f4. I didn't use the converter, though. I can post the results (the cuckoo again, but in a different location) if anyone is interested.

Best, Bob

thanks Bob, i will be very much interested.

you know i got the super fast 1.2 manual focus Zuiko and was wondering what result i will get if i use it with my E 620 or the EPL1.

Hello all,

I've taken your advice and done a test with my E620 + Oly 50-200 + 1.4 converter on a tripod at ISO 100 in good light (with remote shutter release, of course). A cooperative cuckoo in the Goyt Valley, Derbyshire, courtesy of the RSPB furry toys franchise.

I'm posting the result at the longest focal length: f4.9. I'm showing two different close-ups at f4.9, plus an image at f6.3 to show the full field of view (with better resolution, since it's at narrower aperture). It isn't so much the detail in the f4.9 shot that bothers me, it's the halo around the bird and the rock. Also, note the white fringing to the lower part of the bill. I get the same result with the same lens on a second-hand E510. Oddly enough there's a little bit of similar fringing (though not so much) when I use the 70-300mm too -- on both bodies.

I guess this is a lens issue, but my question is, what precisely is the problem? Could it be to do with the bright sunlight? If it's definitely a problem with the lens, would you recommend my trying to take it back to Argos for a replacement? -- given that the lens and E620 have already been back to Olympus, who supposedly fixed the wonky autofocus.

Or am I expecting too much? Admittedly I'm asking a lot here, but the halo really bothers me.

Any comments much appreciated.

Best, Bob

I think that looks off! :eek!:

Niels

Well, I don't know what is happening but something is definitely not right with those images. It's a bit of a pain but it might be worth phoning the Olympus help line. You might be able to email the photos to them to show the problem.

According to the Argos Terms and Conditions, I believe they will repair or, if that is not possible, replace a product up to one year old if it is faulty. The problem you have is to establish that there is a fault, although it definitely appears that there is. I don't know if there is an Olympus dealer near you, who could try out your equipment and give his opinion. You would be dependent on their good will though as they didn't sell you the lens.

It's not a good situation and I am sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Ron

Hi Bob,

You didn't mentioned what your exposure metering setting were ?

I normally use ESP + Focus point with the 50-200/ec20/E-3/E-30.

And are you using center/normal focusing point ?

IIRC Olympus recommends center point only when using teleconverters.

Are you shooting raw or jpeg ? What are your sharpness settings if jpeg ?

FYI - I had the ec14 and ec20 at the same time. Sold the ec14, not enough reach :)

Cheers, Don

happy ending

Hi Ron (and others)

Thanks so much for your help. I persuaded Argos to exchange the lens -- though it's their policy to send back for repair. It wasn't too difficult to win over the manager of the New Oxford St store in London. The sales assistant in Camera World, who had seen my test shots, thought it was a camera problem, but I'm relieved he was wrong. He thought it was the sensor. If that were so, I couldn't see why the problem would go away at narrower apertures. Anyway, to celebrate getting properly kitted out again, here's a whitethroat I took at Lakenheath with the 50-200 plus 1.4 converter; plus, for good measure, a mandarin on Hampstead Heath (very close, of course), taken with the 70-300.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and support.

Bob

Attachments

• whitethroat.gif
    whitethroat.gif
    153.1 KB · Views: 116
  • mandarin-head.gif
    mandarin-head.gif
    97.8 KB · Views: 120
happy ending

Hello Ron,

For some reason my first reply ended up somewhere else. So here it is again:

Hi Ron (and others)

Thanks so much for your help. I persuaded Argos to exchange the lens -- though it's their policy to send back for repair. It wasn't too difficult to win over the manager of the New Oxford St store in London. The sales assistant in Camera World, who had seen my test shots, thought it was a camera problem, but I'm relieved he was wrong. He thought it was the sensor. If that were so, I couldn't see why the problem would go away at narrower apertures. Anyway, to celebrate getting properly kitted out again, here's a whitethroat I took at Lakenheath with the 50-200 plus 1.4 converter; plus, for good measure, a mandarin on Hampstead Heath (very close, of course), taken with the 70-300.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and support.

Bob

Attachments

• whitethroat.gif
    whitethroat.gif
    153.1 KB · Views: 62
  • mandarin-head.gif
    mandarin-head.gif
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi Bob.

I am so glad you managed to get your problem sorted out. Full marks to Argos for exchanging the lens without too much hassle. I hope you get to enjoy your 50-200 as much as I do mine - it's an excellent lens.

I see you have ended up with a double post. You should be able to delete one them yourself by going into 'Edit' but you probably already know that.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back