• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS Covering Deterioration (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

The rubber covering on my trusty Canon 12x36 IS IIs is deteriorating. Parts of it, especially the top near around the IS button, seem to have softened. Nicks and scrapes are no longer resisted but become recorded in the rubber. I can press on it with a fingertip and record my fingerprint.

This is most most used pair of IS binoculars, but we have an older pair of 10x30s. No such problem with it.

Anyone else had this problem? More importantly, if you've sent them to Canon, how much do they charge to fix it?

I do not use Deet or other insect repellents, so it seem to be age and, perhaps, use related, rather than exposure to something.

Thanks, and clear skies, Alan

Attachments

• Canon 12x36 1.jpg
    Canon 12x36 1.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Canon 12x36 2.jpg
    Canon 12x36 2.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 45
Alan,

This is just a guess, but I have begun to have a sneaking suspicion with some of my own rubber/plastic covered gear that not only Deet but also some types of sunscreen (I tend to use SPF 30-50) can also do mean things to them. I very seldom if ever use insect repellants, and have nevertheless sometimes had similar problems with my gear.

Kimmo

Alan.
It seems to be where your finger is touching the rubber, not on parts that have no contact.

I think that the 12x36 needs the button held down, whereas the 18x50 IS stays put for maybe 6 minutes.

Alan.
It seems to be where your finger is touching the rubber, not on parts that have no contact.

I think that the 12x36 needs the button held down, whereas the 18x50 IS stays put for maybe 6 minutes.

Somewhat true. I hold the button down with my right middle finger and my left forefinger rests against the most obvious problem area. However, other fingers rest against unaffected areas and my thumbs are along the rubber on the bottom, which is in fine shape.

Whatever is going on now is a fairly recent development.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back