• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony W300 (1 Viewer)

It does work as a digiscoping camera, just got one, see attached pic, only second picture taken on the camera

Paul

Attachments

• Sony W300 Red Grouse Dsc00002.jpg
    Sony W300 Red Grouse Dsc00002.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 885
Hi Allan

See this thread and look halfway down for my pics of my setup, camera is a Sony N1 in these pics

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113051

Equipment is -

Zeiss 85 straight scope, 20 - 60 zoom eyepiece, SRB swing out adapter MK II, Gitzu Tripod and Video head

Settings - Set on "P"

spot focus, spot meter, EV -0.5

distance from bird 30 yards

Paul

Last edited:
Well done Paul. It should be a nice little digiscoping camera with lots of megs to play with. The price seems a bit steep though. Neil.

Looks to be an excellent camera for digiscoping as Paul has shown. However does not have AP but has a good frame rate at 1.9, it comes in with a couple more mp than the Nikon P5100. The Nikon though does have AP but not as good a frame rate apparently reading what Neil has said of the camera. In most other respects the two are very similar but the Nikon appears to a little dearer but takes SD cards. For the Sony you have to purchase their memory sticks which can only be used with their products.

All in all looks to be a very good alternative to the Canons, Nikon and Fujis to name a few.

Martin - I've had one of these for a few weeks now. I'm still getting to grips with it, lots of settings to try and I'm no photographer...

Anyway in answer to your request I can't give you any technical opinion on the camera but here are a couple of my better efforts so far. I did get an adapter but can't be bothered with it and hence these were all taken handheld, which isn't as easy as with my usual NV3. The very bright early morning light was a bit challenging on the woodsand pic. I've also attached a picture of the woodsand taken at the same time with my NV3 for comparison (4th picture)

The mallard pic was an experiment, taken in near darkness on the high ISO setting, noisy but usable as record shot, not that you'd want one of a mallard, but you know what I mean...

Attachments

• med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 402
  • woodsand colcom.jpg
    woodsand colcom.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 408
  • mallard dusk.jpg
    mallard dusk.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 341
  • woodsand nv3.jpg
    woodsand nv3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 482
I bought my DSC W-300 yesterday, made a few adjustments to my self-designed universal adapter, and shot with it today. I've had DSC W-200 for about a year. I got the upgrade almost solely for the enhanced 230k pixel LCD. The 115k pixel LCD of W-200 drove me nuts, even with Xtend-A-view 2x loupe/shade. The W-300 LCD is at least as good as my expectation. I can digiscope with it with no external magnification and focus my scope spot-on. Very pleased about that. I'll just have to see if it can be done in bright sun with no shade on it.. any thoughts? Here is a frame of my 1st day results, both unsharpened and then sharpened once in Elements. Saved at resolution 8 of 12 for size, and 640 x 480. Settings were: focal lgth: 19.8 which is 2.6 times; distance to Northern Flicker: 15 yds (approx); f.2.8; 1/6 sec (I know, very slow) at ISO-80 (another advantage over DSC W-200's min ISO-100); 0 e.v.; mode: "p"; drive: multi-shot; resolution: 13.6MP.

Of course scopes are important and a variable. Mine is Kowa TSN-824 fluorite with 32x e.p.

Cons to this camera: They inexplicably moved the tripod screw mount to the far left as far as they could go as you look at the LCD display.. dumb. It is unbalanced when the shutter at far top right is pressed. My adaptation was to add another support under the bottom right that I did not have before. 2nd con: Sony moved the battery and card door from right side to bottom right. Now you can't see what you're doing under there when it's mounted, and card or batty could drop to ground or worse be blocked by your mount. Mine happens to leave it clear.

Circuit City online price is $320 U.S. and you can get their store to match that as I did. This is NOT a bad price for such a power-packed compact.

p.s. My "excuse" to buy the upgrade was self-reward for placing 3rd in "WildBird" Digiscoping category Annual Contest.. latest issue pg. 49. -Steve

Attachments

• Flicker DSC-300 30% DSC06216.jpg
    Flicker DSC-300 30% DSC06216.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 407
  • Flicker DSC-300 30%&sharpen DSC06216.jpg
    Flicker DSC-300 30%&sharpen DSC06216.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
I bought my DSC W-300 yesterday, made a few adjustments to my self-designed universal adapter, and shot with it today. I've had DSC W-200 for about a year. I got the upgrade almost solely for the enhanced 230k pixel LCD. The 115k pixel LCD of W-200 drove me nuts, even with Xtend-A-view 2x loupe/shade. The W-300 LCD is at least as good as my expectation. I can digiscope with it with no external magnification and focus my scope spot-on. Very pleased about that. I'll just have to see if it can be done in bright sun with no shade on it.. any thoughts? Here is a frame of my 1st day results, both unsharpened and then sharpened once in Elements. Saved at resolution 8 of 12 for size, and 640 x 480. Settings were: focal lgth: 19.8 which is 2.6 times; distance to Northern Flicker: 15 yds (approx); f.2.8; 1/6 sec (I know, very slow) at ISO-80 (another advantage over DSC W-200's min ISO-100); 0 e.v.; mode: "p"; drive: multi-shot; resolution: 13.6MP.

Of course scopes are important and a variable. Mine is Kowa TSN-824 fluorite with 32x e.p.

Cons to this camera: They inexplicably moved the tripod screw mount to the far left as far as they could go as you look at the LCD display.. dumb. It is unbalanced when the shutter at far top right is pressed. My adaptation was to add another support under the bottom right that I did not have before. 2nd con: Sony moved the battery and card door from right side to bottom right. Now you can't see what you're doing under there when it's mounted, and card or batty could drop to ground or worse be blocked by your mount. Mine happens to leave it clear.

Circuit City online price is $320 U.S. and you can get their store to match that as I did. This is NOT a bad price for such a power-packed compact.

p.s. My "excuse" to buy the upgrade was self-reward for placing 3rd in "WildBird" Digiscoping category Annual Contest.. latest issue pg. 49. -Steve

I wonder if anyone has had any success with this camera and the Sony VAD-WF lens adapter used with an over-lens tube (London Camera Exchange - type) ?

I am looking to upgrade my Sony DSC N-1 which I use with a Zeiss 85 angled scope to a new model, possibly the W 300. I use the Zeiss DCA adapter. I am wondering if the W 300 will work with the Zeiss DCA.

As you point out the camera mounting on the W 300 has moved and their may be implications for proper alignment.

I originally purchased the setup because Zeiss had a support site at zbirdinginfo.com for scopes and sony cameras with zeiss lenses. Apparently this site has closed down as messages remain unanswered from June.

Anyway I am in the process of trying to select a new camera for use with the Zeiss 85 scope. I found the zbirding.info site helpful while it was alive. Product support is necessary as in a case like mine where I would like to know ahead of time if the w300 will work with the Zeiss Dca and 85.

Comments woul be appreacitated.

Thanks

Just sent this personal mini review to a couple of mates

A good sound buy

MSS

Excellent review and pictures - thanks very much. Did you use a shutter release or just a digit (!)?

Other than the Sony VAD-WF adapter and the Eagle Eye 37mm (I assume) 'Digimount' adapter, did you need anything else ?

I have the camera and need to work out whether to go your route or the more complicated (?) bracket-style one.

TIA

Excellent review and pictures - thanks very much. Did you use a shutter release or just a digit (!)?

Other than the Sony VAD-WF adapter and the Eagle Eye 37mm (I assume) 'Digimount' adapter, did you need anything else ?

I have the camera and need to work out whether to go your route or the more complicated (?) bracket-style one.

TIA

Just what you see and my 'digit'. I haven't played about with the settings to anywhere near the full potential yet and to be honest have given up on shutter release sytems over the years. I just find them far to fiddly

Just what you see and my 'digit'. I haven't played about with the settings to anywhere near the full potential yet and to be honest have given up on shutter release sytems over the years. I just find them far to fiddly

Thanks again - so it is the 37mm tube ? No need for any step rings - just fits directly onto the Sony adapter ?

TIA

Jim,

I can't comment directly on the Sony cameras other than I've seen many great photos taken w/ them. I use a Nikon Coolpix P5000 and recommend it or the P5100 as a good digiscoping camera for the Zeiss 85T*Fl (which I also have). Check out my digiscoping blog for adaptor(s) for the Coolpix.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back