• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Hi ,
What do you think of all this?
Sony NEX-5 Digiscoping with Kowa TSN-884

Attachments

• sony-nex-digiscoping-05.jpg
    sony-nex-digiscoping-05.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 622
  • sony-nex-digiscoping-10.jpg
    sony-nex-digiscoping-10.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 562
  • sony-nex-digiscoping-08.jpg
    sony-nex-digiscoping-08.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 477
Since all were using manual focus (zizo88 didn't include more info), I purchased a NEX5 to use with the Nikon FSA-L2 http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Nikon_FSA-L2 in my Optolyth 100 http://www.pt-ducks.com/duck/t1a.JPG. It works well (2 first photos) but I prefer to use it in the TMB92 with a Siebert PMW (0-2.5x) and a BS 1.5x barlow since images seem to result better (last 2 photos), but I have to do more tests.
I love the 7fps brush and was one of the main reasons why I bought it (the main others were price and size).
I hope that Sony or a third producer will release a fixed lens good for real digiscopy since like that I will have a 3rd good option...:king:

With this camera I can be photographing and resighting marked birds at the same time!!!

Attachments

• f1.JPG
    f1.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 320
  • f2.JPG
    f2.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 227
  • f3.JPG
    f3.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 400
  • f4.JPG
    f4.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 302
David, can you post some of your TMB92 images here in the astro scope forum gallery? I'm sure there's some in there (including me) that would like to see more of these and here more about your scope and set-up.

Cheers,
Paul.

Since all were using manual focus (zizo88 didn't include more info), I purchased a NEX5 to use with the Nikon FSA-L2 http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Nikon_FSA-L2 in my Optolyth 100 http://www.pt-ducks.com/duck/t1a.JPG. It works well (2 first photos) but I prefer to use it in the TMB92 with a Siebert PMW (0-2.5x) and a BS 1.5x barlow since images seem to result better (last 2 photos), but I have to do more tests.
I love the 7fps brush and was one of the main reasons why I bought it (the main others were price and size).
I hope that Sony or a third producer will release a fixed lens good for real digiscopy since like that I will have a 3rd good option...:king:

With this camera I can be photographing and resighting marked birds at the same time!!!

David,
The third/fourth image look good, especially the third .
Neil

7 fps

Just to show what 7 fps can allow - photos aren't pin sharp/focused but shows the action. With 4 fps this wouldn't be possible...

Paul I will post it when I will have a photo of it - my wife is using the compact camera...

Attachments

• g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 229
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 227
  • g3.JPG
    g3.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 159
  • g4.JPG
    g4.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 132
  • g5.JPG
    g5.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Just to show what 7 fps can allow - photos aren't pin sharp/focused but shows the action. With 4 fps this wouldn't be possible...

Paul I will post it when I will have a photo of it - my wife is using the compact camera...

Nice sequence David. I like to be able to catch this sort of action too. With more and more cameras coming out with CMOS sensors we will have even faster frame rates to play with.
Neil

On my recent Florida trip I had the Sony Nex 5 and the kit zoom lens ( 18-55/3.5-5.6 ). With normal eyepieces there is too much vignetting with this zoom but with the Kowa VA3 ( Video Adapter ) with it's 60 mm of Eye Relief there is not a problem.
Neil

Sony Nex 5 plus Kowa lens/scope Prominar and Kowa VA3 adapter and DA adapter ( 49 - 52 mm adapter ring )

Florida, USA.
May 2011

Attachments

• great egrets breed nex5 zm_DSC1731.jpg
    great egrets breed nex5 zm_DSC1731.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 293
Kowa lens/scope Prominar

Neil,

I have not been able to find a price or a dealer that sells the Kowa lens/scope Prominar.

Can you direct me to one.

Thanks

Birder100

Neil,
More one great photo.
With adapter rings the zoom might suffer. Just found the link where zizo88 found the info http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2010/12/sony-nex-5-digiscoping-with-kowa-tsn.html. Unfortunately I don't know Japanese, so couldn't found the adaptor. Any one can help?
Eventually a 40-42mm plossel would work well also. I used a Vixen NLV40 for the night-herons at more than 200m. Eventually the TS SuperView 40mm would allow a wider unvignetted zoom range since the camera objective can be closer to the eyepiece lens. I have the 32mm version but has less eyerelief

Now the photo of the Night-heron...
I was waiting for a 30-35mm lens fixed E-mount to test it on the 32mm TS SS. As you used the rings I tested it also with rings - vignetting only disappears at >45mm. Enclose a photo at 18mm and another at 55mm, with the TS32SS on the Opotyth100.
Hope a digiscopy friendly E-mount lens will exit soon!

Attachments

• Nn.JPG
    Nn.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 283
  • TS32SS_18mm.JPG
    TS32SS_18mm.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 190
  • TS32SS_55mm.JPG
    TS32SS_55mm.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 189
Kowa lens/scope Prominar

Thanks Neil,

I have e-mailed Jim and await his reply.

The lens appears to be in a limited release among
a select few.

Birder100

Good lens for digiscopy

I already saw some info before but now is official. A good lens for digiscopy will be available at the end of the year http://www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11060816sonye30macro.asp
Meanwhile I continue to use the NEX5 with the TMB92+PMW+BS combo when need to take photos. The included photo was taken at more than 90m and the title is "Are you looking to me?!?":king:

Attachments

• Pandion.JPG
    Pandion.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 303
As I recently bought the Sony NEX VG10 E video camera with the 18-200 mm lens. I thought I would mention it here.
It's not really suitable for digiscoping , although you can digiscope with it on the Kowa VA3 adapter but only at near full zoom.
It seems like a very good lens , although it looks a little big on the NEX 5. I took it on a stroll through Central, Hong Kong , last Saturday on the NEX-5 and here are some of the snaps. The first one was taken at full zoom (200 mm).
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
June 2011

Attachments

• building central nex5zm200mm_DSC2427.jpg
    building central nex5zm200mm_DSC2427.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 190
  • food store central Nex5 zm88mm _DSC2412.jpg
    food store central Nex5 zm88mm _DSC2412.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 155
  • ledgco building cenral nex5zm79mm_DSC2446.jpg
    ledgco building cenral nex5zm79mm_DSC2446.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 147
  • queens road central Nex5 zm40mm_DSC2413.jpg
    queens road central Nex5 zm40mm_DSC2413.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 172
  • stanley st central nex5zm27mm_DSC2419.jpg
    stanley st central nex5zm27mm_DSC2419.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 143
New version of NEX5 http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5n/ with more pixels (don't know why the first version didn't come out with similar sensor), but specially faster during focusing and a 10 fps mode - hope full resolution.
Meanwhile a NEX7 was announced http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp and I'm imagining already people doing digiscopy with a 24MP camera... Don't you Neil...o:D

David,
24 megs means much more cropping room but also more processing power required at the computer end. I would like to match it with my Zeiss 28/2.0 lens.
Neil.

I have the new Nex 5N with the electronic viewfinder EV1S. The resolution of the viewfinder with more than 2 megapixels is excellent. I've taken some pictures with the Sony E 30mm F 3.5 Macro. With the 30 mm and 45mm eyepiece, there is no vignetting. The camera can be very well put the focus manually. The Focus Peaking function is of great help. With IR remote control, the camera can be triggered. Continuous shooting with the IR remote control is not possible, however. The individual images can be saved quickly, so that's no problem. I'm happy with the camera. The picture quality is excellent. The image with the kingfisher, ISO 400, 15m distance.

Attachments

• DSC00844 Kopie.jpg
    DSC00844 Kopie.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC00817.jpg
    DSC00817.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 400
I have the new Nex 5N with the electronic viewfinder EV1S. The resolution of the viewfinder with more than 2 megapixels is excellent. I've taken some pictures with the Sony E 30mm F 3.5 Macro. With the 30 mm and 45mm eyepiece, there is no vignetting. The camera can be very well put the focus manually. The Focus Peaking function is of great help. With IR remote control, the camera can be triggered. Continuous shooting with the IR remote control is not possible, however. The individual images can be saved quickly, so that's no problem. I'm happy with the camera. The picture quality is excellent. The image with the kingfisher, ISO 400, 15m distance.

There is nothing wrong with these photos. Excellent work. I might have to get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back