• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Thanks Neil, here are two pictures. The kingfisher with the Sony 30mm f3.5. (manual focus) The Great White Egret with the Nikon 50mm F1.8 D (distance 30m) This lens is cheap and is of excellent quality. The lens needs an adapter for Nikon mount. The kit lens of Sony 18-55 mm is not recommended. The vignetting is too big. I use a Swarovski adapter UCA

Attachments

• DSC00931 Silberreiher.jpg
    DSC00931 Silberreiher.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC00846 Eisvogel.jpg
    DSC00846 Eisvogel.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 306
Thanks Neil, here are two pictures. The kingfisher with the Sony 30mm f3.5. (manual focus) The Great White Egret with the Nikon 50mm F1.8 D (distance 30m) This lens is cheap and is of excellent quality. The lens needs an adapter for Nikon mount. The kit lens of Sony 18-55 mm is not recommended. The vignetting is too big. I use a Swarovski adapter UCA

You can't complain about the detail you are getting.
You could use the DCA with the 50/1.8 D ( I have two of them as the price is so reasonable ). To maximise the resolution from your sensor , one of the Zeiss lenses would be excellent.
Neil

wueku

You told the SEL30 mm doesn't vignette with the 30 and 45x eyepieces but what about the zoom? I suppose you are using a Swaro, right?
The NEX5N is an interesting update for digiscopy, besides more resolution and the EVF you mentioned, it has an electronic shutter (by the way it becomes silent with this option?), faster autofocus, 10 fps and lens corrections, including CA. However I first will purchase the lens and will only update the NEX if I will manage to sell my present NEX5 for a reasonable price...

If were you?

I was thinking on purchasing the SEL 30mm for improving the digiscopy performance of my NEX5. However if the 30mm still vignettes with zooms and if it will confirms that is slow on focusing, I wonder if it wouldn't better to invest in upgrading to the NEX5n and not having the lens - don't want to spend money on both... If were you what would you decide?

I also thought of using this lens also with the TMB+Nikon FSA-L2 combo with a 32mm 1.25" or 30mm 2" TS Superview eyepieces - autofocus in a 14-50x zoom (with the 32mm. Only would try the 30mm 2" if the 32mm that I have would result on vignetting...)! In this case, as the TMB is CA free the NEX5n capacity to correct CA would not be a plus. So don't know what to decide...

I am waiting new Sony SEL 50mm f1.8 for digscoping. I am going to use it with Nex-7 which should come to shops in January 2012. Sony 50/1.8 has OS.

Nex-7 has same sensor as in Sony A77. I have used Sony A77 with Sony 50mm f1.4 with 30X eyepiece in Kowa 883 and my expieriences are very good. A77 has electronical viewfinder and it is super in digiscoping. Sony A77 works fine with 35mm lens too. I have 35mm f1.4 but i think that A77 + 35mm f1.8 DT would be quite good combo, too.

You can bye separate viewfinder to Nex-5N, not to Nex-5. so i recommnd to buy Nex-5N if you dont know what to do. :)

Arto

I was thinking on purchasing the SEL 30mm for improving the digiscopy performance of my NEX5. However if the 30mm still vignettes with zooms and if it will confirms that is slow on focusing, I wonder if it wouldn't better to invest in upgrading to the NEX5n and not having the lens - don't want to spend money on both... If were you what would you decide?

I also thought of using this lens also with the TMB+Nikon FSA-L2 combo with a 32mm 1.25" or 30mm 2" TS Superview eyepieces - autofocus in a 14-50x zoom (with the 32mm. Only would try the 30mm 2" if the 32mm that I have would result on vignetting...)! In this case, as the TMB is CA free the NEX5n capacity to correct CA would not be a plus. So don't know what to decide...

What lenses are recommended for use with the NEX-5 and the Swarovski 25-50 zoom with DCA adapter? There is far too much vignietting with the kit lens.

Regards
Tristan Reid

What lenses are recommended for use with the NEX-5 and the Swarovski 25-50 zoom with DCA adapter? There is far too much vignietting with the kit lens.

Regards
Tristan Reid

Tristan,
One of the fun things with the NEX 5 is the ability to use lot's of legacy lenses using available adapters. I like a Nikon 24/2.8 AIS lens but most of the short Nikons between 24 - 50 mms will do a good job ( manual focus only of course ).
I didn't mind the Sony 16/2.8 kit lens though as I found the vignetting was easy to crop out ( see original posts in this thread ). The newer 50 mm lens should be the go http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/lenses/sony_e_50_1p8 , although I haven't tried it yet.
Neil

Two images with the Sony 30mm. The lens nice and sharp. Distance is about 20m. Swarovski 30x eyepiece (detail)

Attachments

• DSC01911 Silberreiher.jpg
    DSC01911 Silberreiher.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC01968 Silberreiher 2.jpg
    DSC01968 Silberreiher 2.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 364
The focus was adjusted manually. 4.8x zoom Display. The Peaking function of the contrast edge helps. I've tried with auto focus, but the focus moves back and front again. Since I have no control.

Tristan,
One of the fun things with the NEX 5 is the ability to use lot's of legacy lenses using available adapters. I like a Nikon 24/2.8 AIS lens but most of the short Nikons between 24 - 50 mms will do a good job ( manual focus only of course ).
I didn't mind the Sony 16/2.8 kit lens though as I found the vignetting was easy to crop out ( see original posts in this thread ). The newer 50 mm lens should be the go http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/lenses/sony_e_50_1p8 , although I haven't tried it yet.
Neil

Thanks Neil; I'll be interested in the results people get from the 50mm F1.8 OSS.

Is there a setting that allows me to use a legacy lens? I have been trying to conect my Canon 50mm 1.8 via an adapter but the camera throws up an error stating that it does not recognise the lens?

EDIT: It's okay I worked it out ;-) I had not enabled 'Release W/O Lens'!

Last edited:
One quick question - What adapter mount type are people using. Is it the one with or without the apeture ring? I assume the ones without allow the camera to shoot wide open?

Binface, I use Canon FD mount lenses with the NEX-5N. The lenses I have for it are the 24mm f2, 28mm f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.8 and the 135mm f2. I've used all bar the 135mm for digiscoping, but I've actually put that on the rig and it works however I reckon I'll need the brightest day ever to get the shutter speeds up! The only lens I've got that vignettes is the 24mm. I attach them via an adpter purchased from SRB Griturn for £30. The adapter has a ring marked open and closed on it. If the ring is in the open position the changing of the aperature ring on the lens has no effect on the screen. If the ring is in the closed position the aperature ring on the lens works and vignetting can occur. I've just tested a couple of my lenses and the results are as follows. The 28mm starts vignetting @ f3.5, the 50mm @ f5.6.
Hope this helps
B lucky
Gary

Thanks Gary - I'll see how I get on with my Canon EOS 50mm. Hopefully is won't belong before someone develops an adapter that allows AF etc :)

What are peoples thoughts on the digital viewfinder? Is it worth the expense for digiscoping?

Thanks Gary - I'll see how I get on with my Canon EOS 50mm. Hopefully is won't belong before someone develops an adapter that allows AF etc :)

What are peoples thoughts on the digital viewfinder? Is it worth the expense for digiscoping?

The adapter for the new Nikon V1 will allow Auto Focus with Nikon AFS lenses. This is not digiscoping but you are getting into digiscoping territory with a 300/4 plus 1.4x = 1134 mms.
Once you've used an Electronic Viewfinder you can't go back. The ones on the Fuji X100 and Nikon V1 are excellent.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back