• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic G1 (1 Viewer)

El CID

I am looking for an occasional alternative to digiscoping and using my camera without my Swarovski scope.
The G1 supplied lens of 14-45mm is of little use for any distant photographing of birds.Has anyone used the Panasonic Vario 45-200mm lens with success or any other compatible four/thirds telephoto lens

Panasonic has a 100-300mm lens that may be introduced later this year. Equivalent to 200-600 mm in 35mm.

Google it for more info. Has been discussed on dpreview.

I have a Panasonic GH1 and am waiting for this lens to come on the market.

You can also fabricate a mini digiscoping system about the size, weight of a conventional 600mm lens. Perhaps at a small fraction of the cost. Gene

Panasonic has a 100-300mm lens that may be introduced later this year. Equivalent to 200-600 mm in 35mm.

Google it for more info. Has been discussed on dpreview.

I have a Panasonic GH1 and am waiting for this lens to come on the market.

Many thanks, I'll have a look on dpreview.
Reg

A mini-digiscoping system

A typical spotting scope used for birding has a focal length of 500mm and an 80mm dia. lens. With such a unit a person can expect to use an equivalent focal length or 2,000 to 2,500. Anyone attempting to go over that is fooling themselves and getting mush because of the Rayleigh resolution limit of the lens, regardless of pedigree.

So, a system half as powerful could use a 300mm lens with a dia. of about 45mm. Of course all you need is the lens properly mounted in a tube with an inexpensive focuser and eyepiece on the other end. Found a great lens at Surplus Shed. SKU B1013 A Mil. Spec. coated, air spaced achromat objective. Perfect. 57mm x 360 F.L. Separate this air spaced objective with three small tabs of aluminum foil tape. Was used in the M49 Military telescope.

If you don't like the image to be upside down, a 45 degree first surface viewing mirror on the back of camera will flip it right side up and shade the screen. You would look down like in the old dual lens reflex cameras. For a digiscoping eyepiece for this small scope I would use an Orion 20mm Expanse, at about $50. USD.

I suggest the $120. USD. Lumix FS-10 or FH1 (same) camera ONLY 140 grams. Am testing a new one and it equals my new EPL1 with Pany 20mm lens in image sharpness and quality. Darn, what wasted money, Oly! It BEATS it by 2 stops in actual digiscoping light processing power because of the brightness advantage of a small optical system. I will post the pictures in a couple of days with a new thread. Good Luck Gene

Many thanks,looking forward to your pictures.
Reg

A mini-digiscoping system

A typical spotting scope used for birding has a focal length of 500mm and an 80mm dia. lens. With such a unit a person can expect to use an equivalent focal length or 2,000 to 2,500. Anyone attempting to go over that is fooling themselves and getting mush because of the Rayleigh resolution limit of the lens, regardless of pedigree.

So, a system half as powerful could use a 300mm lens with a dia. of about 45mm. Of course all you need is the lens properly mounted in a tube with an inexpensive focuser and eyepiece on the other end. Found a great lens at Surplus Shed. SKU B1013 A Mil. Spec. coated, air spaced achromat objective. Perfect. 57mm x 360 F.L. Separate this air spaced objective with three small tabs of aluminum foil tape. Was used in the M49 Military telescope.

If you don't like the image to be upside down, a 45 degree first surface viewing mirror on the back of camera will flip it right side up and shade the screen. You would look down like in the old dual lens reflex cameras. For a digiscoping eyepiece for this small scope I would use an Orion 20mm Expanse, at about $50. USD.

I suggest the $120. USD. Lumix FS-10 or FH1 (same) camera ONLY 140 grams. Am testing a new one and it equals my new EPL1 with Pany 20mm lens in image sharpness and quality. Darn, what wasted money, Oly! It BEATS it by 2 stops in actual digiscoping light processing power because of the brightness advantage of a small optical system. I will post the pictures in a couple of days with a new thread. Good Luck Gene

I think its important to mention, El Cid,( assuming that you dont already know ) , that when Bob D says " equivalent to " .. you aren't going to get the focal length / reach of a 600mm lens. The " equivalent " spoken of is in fact the FOV ( field of view )
What the 300mm lens on a 2x crop camera factor gives is a cropped angle of view. Thats why they're called ' crop ' cameras. The angle of view through a 300mm lens on a 2x crop cam, is what you'd see if you looked through a 600mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

This 100-300 lens is still going to be 300mm in focal length on a G1. It'll be 300mm on any amera.

Last edited:
The photo from the smaller sensor is cropped and then enlarged giving the perception of magnification. Does a 2X crop sensor capture more or as much detail than say cropping a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera? It's probably not far off in which case a 2X crop sensor can have it's benefits, especially for wildlife photography.

Paul.

Whether or not he's getting a 600mm lens is irrelevent, thats why we change it to 35mm eqv.

What he's interested in is the magnification.

I have never heard the term crop cameras, perhaps because its out of date and the g1 doesn't crop anything as most of its lenses are designed for four thirds and not full frame.

The actual focal length of my camera I think is about 77mm (infact I don't no what it is because on its own its pretty useless thing to know).

Much more useful is 35mm eqv which is 480mm

Its useful yes, i see your point with the calcs, but so many people think, when they see " the equivalent to " , they assume that they're going to get 2x or 1.6x or 1.5x the actual focal length of the lens in question.

I have never heard the term crop cameras

I find that strange, since thats how its described

G1 is a crop camera

As noted, the Lumix G1 is the first Micro Four Thirds camera to hit the market. Basic specs of the MFT mount are similar to its full-size Four Thirds forerunner: while the mount size is physically smaller, the 2x crop factor that applies to other Four Thirds cameras applies here as well, meaning the 14-45mm kit lens shows a field of view equivalent to 28-90mm glass on a full-frame 35mm system.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3788&review=panasonic+lumix+g1

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your replies,I will keep my eyes open for the 100-300mm reviews later in the year.
Is it viable to use a Panasonic DMW-MA1 Mount adapter and a third party 4/3 telephoto?
Reg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back