• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Q camera (1 Viewer)

Binastro

20th June 2015 Amateur Photographer.

Why would I mention the camera here?
Because the review of the 3.68-million-dot electronic viewfinder says that it has the highest resolution EVF of any consumer digital camera and it is quite extraordinary. The reviewer says it is the best he has ever used. You forget that you're looking at a digital display.

Does this mean that Leica are thinking of producing a high resolution digital binocular, as I think that high resolution electronic viewfinders point in this direction?

Would be a little ironic, if Leica goes ahead with digital binoculars. Don't think this is going to happen.

But then, the new Leica Q's only competitor is the Sony RX1, and its precisely Sony who is the only one having seriously ventured into digital binoculars so far...

Interesting this Leica Q, btw. I guess it would make a great digiscoping cam. Although pricewise, this doesn't make any sense at all of course.

I hope not. I have the Sony DEV-3, they are complete garbage, whether as binoculars (low-res EVFs, horrendous lag), cameras (really bad image quality, like that of a 2000-vintage compact digicam) or as video cameras (ditto).

For bird photos, I found a much better option is a Canon Rebel SL1 with EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. Fully zoomed out, it has the same magnification as 8x binoculars, image stabilization thrown in, and light years ahead in terms of image quality. Very light as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back