• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica SCHOTT Glass - Questions (1 Viewer)

Hi Dale, I tried to contact you on a totally unrelated matter, but as you have PM and email disabled, I did not succeed. I guess you're flooded with queries if not disabling contact option, so I understand. Just in case you don't mind me to be contacted by me, please let me know how to so by PM or so.
Regards,

As Etudiant pointed out, both Schott and Zeiss are owned by a Foundation. If you dig into the history of Zeiss or Schott it will be obvious.
Jan

Hi,

yes, Carl Zeiss AG and Schott AG are both wholly owned by the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung founded by german physicist and Zeiss partner Ernst Abbe in 1889. He was one of the earliest employees at Zeiss and was made a partner later. He was the scientist behind most of the Zeiss innovations in the early years (mainly in microscopy) and transferred his share of Carl Zeiss AG to the foundation. Two years later he persuaded the Zeiss heir Roderich Zeiss to transfer his share of Zeiss and the owner of Jenaer Glaswerke and Zeiss business partner Otto Schott followed suit in 1919.

The foundation is non-profit organisation and thus not bound by the concept of shareholder value but rather by different concepts like the economic security of the two companies, social responsibilities to the employees and promoting research, eductation and public welfare.

Joachim

The Zeiss Terra also uses Schott glass. That means Schott glass is nothing special, they make
many different grades and qualities.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back