• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carib hummingbirds - St. Lucia (1 Viewer)

bugmat

I'm a bit confused by how similar the green- and purple-throated caribs are especially when in the shade where the green-throated's gorget can actually look purple. For that reason I've been going by the wing colour which is supposed to be brighter/bluer on the PT Carib and darker/greener on the GT Carib? Are these labels for green-throated and purple-throated correct?

Attachments

• pt-carib.jpg
    pt-carib.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 26
  • gt-carib.jpg
    gt-carib.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 29
The Pt Carib is most certainly correct. The other bird I have not seen look like that. However, the blue reflections on the upper rump and the hint of the same below the throat area (as well as the blackish wings) makes me think you are actually correct.

Niels

The Pt Carib is most certainly correct. The other bird I have not seen look like that. However, the blue reflections on the upper rump and the hint of the same below the throat area (as well as the blackish wings) makes me think you are actually correct.

Niels

Thanks - I only had a few days there but the GT carib was confusing despite seeing it daily - at times it showed as expected (green throat, wings, & back etc) but other times it looked just as seen there particularly in shade where te entire throat bar a patch at the bottom looked dull purple (due presumably to the lack of light/reflection).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back