• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodland bird ID help needed, call only! (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I´ve already asked about this on another thread, never used this section of the forum before. Last evening, about 9.30pm, in mixed level woodland with a soggy bottom, south of Bray, Ireland, I had very brief unsatisfactory views of a passerine moving through the very top of the tree canopy. It was making an unusual alarm call that I haven´t heard before. A harsh "tchack" or "tchup" (depending on how you pronounce it!), repeated five to seven times, then a aspirated "Hveeoo", descending slightly in tone on the last "oo", and sounding like an intake of breath through clenched teeth. So it went something like this: "Tchack, Tchack, Tchack, Tchack-Tchack, Hveeoo". All I saw was a light brown underbelly on a bird the size and shape of a blackcap, as it flitted from tree to tree. The "Tchack" call was much fuller and rounder than the ticking calls of robin or wren. Sorry there´s not much to go on, but the light was fading and the foliage was dense. I can´t find anything like the call on any of the CD´s I have. I´ve tried the usual suspects, plus redstart, to no avail. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

Blackcap is possible - I was thinking that before you mentioned it was the size and shape of a Blackcap

From BWP:
In recording of bird alarmed by squirrel Sciurus near fledglings, a wheezy 'wheeu' or 'huwihu' very like Wigeon Anas penelope (J Hall-Craggs, W T C Seale), also nasal, mainly rising sound very like Brambling Fringilla montifringilla, interspersed in longer series of call 4a (P J Sellar), e.g. 'tak tak wheeu'.

first thing that came to mind was Greenfinch for me on account of the 'chup' (can be quite emphatic) and 'hveeoo' (wheezy) but I can't say I know a GF vocalisation that resembles a 'tchak' ..

London Birder said:
first thing that came to mind was Greenfinch for me on account of the 'chup' (can be quite emphatic) and 'hveeoo' (wheezy) but I can't say I know a GF vocalisation that resembles a 'tchak' ..

I'd have said Greenfinch too - some of the vocalisations are quite harsh and very varied. To my ears they also frequently make 'sneering' noises.

Jane Turner said:
Blackcap is possible - I was thinking that before you mentioned it was the size and shape of a Blackcap

From BWP:
In recording of bird alarmed by squirrel Sciurus near fledglings, a wheezy 'wheeu' or 'huwihu' very like Wigeon Anas penelope (J Hall-Craggs, W T C Seale), also nasal, mainly rising sound very like Brambling Fringilla montifringilla, interspersed in longer series of call 4a (P J Sellar), e.g. 'tak tak wheeu'.
Sincerest thanks for that, Jane Turner, LondonBirder, and Richard D. Great to have the advice. I think I´ll go with Jane´s suggestion, it looked more Blackcap-shaped, and the wheeze wasn´t quite as nasal as Greenfinches, the "Tchack" also being a more robust affair than you´d expect from a finch. Interesting about the BWP info, the wood where I saw/heard the bird has a mixed population of red and grey squirrels, still co-existing. This bird was quite agitated, I wonder if the the wheezing call is something Blackcap´s use to signal specifically a squirrel threat? (There might be a PhD in that, someone! ;) )

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back