• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (7 Viewers)

Three oystercatcher seen from the hide at Laguna La Mata today. Another Spanish first for me, and seemingly quite out of their usual Spanish range.

Three oystercatcher seen from the hide at Laguna La Mata today. Another Spanish first for me, and seemingly quite out of their usual Spanish range.

Didn't have time for a full post earlier. Other than the oystercatcher, there were very few waders close enough to see well, although a few dunlin still in summer plumage were a nice surprise, and I was impressed by the large number of flamingos, possibly getting on for 500-600 seen in total.

Among the scrub, there were green woodpecker and crested lark almost everywhere, but among the small copses, spotted flycatcher were seen in a couple of places, together with a very dark green warbler with a strong supercilium (Bonelli's warbler?? Really not sure).

So, I'm now back from two fantastic weeks in the sun of the Costa Blanca, and have had some time to look back through my notes and some of these posts.

I still have some questions in my mind about some of my sightings, so would welcome any advice from local birders familiar with the area and/or species...

Great reed warbler: I know these are pretty common breeders in several locations, but I have never seen them away from reeds. Yet I think I had a couple of sightings of GRW fly-catching in unusual locations - over discarded fishing nets in scrubland (although not far from the Rio Segura, where I know they breed), and another individual making feeding forays over a pomegranate plantation. I would welcome any confirmation that these could be GRW, or suggestions of anything similar (i.e. a big grey-brown warbler with thick bill!)

I thought I found a small group of sanderling at El Hondo, although they were a little distant (and not in the winter plumage I'm familiar with), but their behaviour was spot on. Have I got confused, as I'm not sure this would be likely away from the coast and at this time of year (I've only ever seen them locally on the beaches at Pinet in Spring). Any thoughts?

Similarly, are there ruff at El Hondo at this time of year?

Two wader sightings also seem odd based on usual ranges (having now looked these up). These were a single whimbrel at Sta Pola Salinas and three oystercatcher at Laguna La Mata. Are these "common" passage species in the area?

Finally, having reverted to my field guides and the internet, I am now not sure of the warbler I saw in trees at Laguna La Mata. It was distinctly dark olive-green, with some yellow on the breast, and a very distinct supercillum and dark "mask"; I also had an impression it was quite large - although I had nothing to compare it to - so I am wondering if wood warbler could be a possibility....

All advice and suggestions gratefully received!! :)

I have seen Great Reed Warbler in Sea Buckthorn scrub, mind you that was in Scotland.

Waders will all be migrating at this time so your identifications are probably okay.

Could the Warbler be Melodious?

David

With non-sedentary migrants expect anything anywhere - that's why i find it exciting:eek!: I have'nt visited the areas you mention so i can't comment but i have seen GRW's in a wide range of habitats out of breeding season.....

Laurie:t:

Thanks for the comments....I'm learning!

In terms of the mystery warbler....melodious warbler is an interesting suggestion. I think I saw one in the same region in April, but wasn't convinced, and I had some discussion on this forum over identity....so maybe that would fit... for this recent sighting, I noted that the back/tertials were very distinctly "striped", which I think fits with Bonelli's warbler, but then I don't think the size fits too well...

Looks like I really need to brush up on my Spanish warblers!

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from the trip. I don't take my "proper" camera out to Spain, so these are taken with my compact camera, so the quality isn't great, but I'm rather pleased to get any photos at all of such "exotics"!

Attachments

• flamingos.jpg
    flamingos.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 119
  • pheron.jpg
    pheron.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 120
Just resurrecting this thread, as it's just two weeks before our first trip of the year to this wonderful place! Any local news is much appreciated!

Hi lazza

I'm in Gran Alacant at the moment - back to the UK at the weekend. I've had to curtail my birding somewhat due to my wife's illness, but I have been able to get in a few trips down here.

Highlight of this trip was the presence of 3 Great Spotted Cuckoos in the Clot de Galvany last week for a couple of days, although they seem to have moved on now. There are signs of spring migration, quite a few swallows around now including a few Red-rumped, some Yellow Wagtails here and there, and the usual winter residents such as Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts are becoming fewer in number as they leave for the north.

There has been a lot of work done in the Clot de Galvany, with all the overgrown reedbeds cleared in the scrape, and also the reeds on the perimeter of the main pool cleared. Bit of a bomb site at the moment, but it is noticeable that there are more birds on the scrape now and the regrowth is already starting.

I may be able to get down to El Hondo in the next day or so and I'll let you know what's about. Of course you can get all the latest news on the new CBBC site which is now much improved and a good resource.

Just to make you a bit jealous, here's one of the GSCs!

Attachments

• Great Spotted Cuckoo.JPG
    Great Spotted Cuckoo.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 137
Hi lazza

I'm in Gran Alacant at the moment - back to the UK at the weekend. I've had to curtail my birding somewhat due to my wife's illness, but I have been able to get in a few trips down here.

Highlight of this trip was the presence of 3 Great Spotted Cuckoos in the Clot de Galvany last week for a couple of days, although they seem to have moved on now. There are signs of spring migration, quite a few swallows around now including a few Red-rumped, some Yellow Wagtails here and there, and the usual winter residents such as Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts are becoming fewer in number as they leave for the north.

There has been a lot of work done in the Clot de Galvany, with all the overgrown reedbeds cleared in the scrape, and also the reeds on the perimeter of the main pool cleared. Bit of a bomb site at the moment, but it is noticeable that there are more birds on the scrape now and the regrowth is already starting.

I may be able to get down to El Hondo in the next day or so and I'll let you know what's about. Of course you can get all the latest news on the new CBBC site which is now much improved and a good resource.

Just to make you a bit jealous, here's one of the GSCs!
Thanks for the link Mark we are going out for 5 weeks at the end of April,can't wait!!!

Thanks Mark. Sorry to hear your wife isn't well.

Yes, the new CBBC web-site is a marvel to behold! I have been checking it the last few weeks, and noticed your fab photo of the cuckoo. Very nice... and almost no envy on my side AT ALL!

Our Easter trip this year is a bit different, as I'll be working for part of it, so will not have as much time to go exploring as I usually do, but I am determined to get out to El Clot on my bike again, if only to try again for the wheatears on the cliffs in Santa Pola!

Arrived this morning at the in-laws in La Marina, and managed a short spin round some of the farmland and canals this afternoon. The highlight for me was a flock of around 15-20 tree sparrow in a small plantation on the edge of the Urbanizacion - only my second sighting of this species in 5 years of Easte & summer visits! Otherwise, many of the expected species accounted for, with large numbers of serin and goldfinch now seemingly resident in the rapidly maturing verde opposite the house, several jingling corn bunting along the farm tracks, and a lovely male black redstart in a citrus grove near the mouth of the Rio Segura.

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to mention a sighting of a huge snake (5-6' long) which slithered across the track in front of me, in the scrubland at the mouth of the Rio Segura... not sure what it was, but could have been a Montpellier snake?

Last edited:
Had an hour out on my bike yesterday around some of the scrub-like areas surrounding the local Urbanizacion, with lots of Sardinian warblers in song, and a distant cuckoo heard, as well as my first red-rumped swallow of the year.

I also heard an interesting song coming from some pine scrub, which reminded me of a garden warbler - a long, musical song with some slightly scratchy notes - with two birds calling alternately from different places (although neither seen). As my song ID still needs rather a lot of work, I'm wondering if this is at all likely! My Collins guide suggest garden warbler would be migratory here, so hearing two singing as if on territory would not fit.... any other suggestions?

Out to El Pinet salinas first thing this morning, where dozens of common tern were making a din, along with the usual good show of slender-billed gulls, avocet, flamingo and stilt. A small number of Sandwich tern rested on one of the islands, and several groups of small waders moved about the area, including dunlin, Kentish plover and sanderling, possibly also little stint. Four shelduck were expected, while a pair of garganey flying through certainly were not (thankfully id'd by another birder in the hide)!

A ride back via Vistabella road (although not visiting the hides) gave me my first singing reed warblers, while heading back along the rough caminos to the Urbanizacion threw up a few surprises, first an eerily calling stone curlew, which flushed from the edge of the path as I got near, then a sizeable roost of egret in trees not far from the main Elche road, mostly little egret but with 5-8 cattle egret and a stunning - and remarkably confident - night heron

Today's early morning bike ride took in the hides along Vistabella road, and the tracks and roads round to Catral, returning via Dolores and San Fulgencio.

The hides, as always, were very rewarding, although rather full of photographers! Having newly added garganey to my Spain list yesterday at El Pinet, I found another close to the "first" hide (the one furthest East along Vistabella road), with close views of white-headed duck and little grebe in the canal, while at least 3 purple swamphen trumpeted and grunted from the reeds. 5 photographers at the middle hide made it tricky to squeeze in, but still managed to spot a couple of black-necked grebe and a soaring marsh harrier before the tight squeeze (and the swarms of flies) drove me on. Willow warbler and reed warbler sang from several places along the canal, while the loud song of a Cetti's warbler came from a plantation near El Hondo South gate.

Following Camino El Hondo around the south western edge of the reserve, a blackcap was seen fly-catching, while another Cetti's was heard and a skulking stone curlew noted.

Been on Xeno-canto this morning, and think one of the reed warbler yesterday may have been a moustached warbler. I got views through the reeds, so not at all ideal, and felt one of the birds looked more sedge-warbler like with a darker cap and more streaked back, and it seems the songs are quite similar, so seems to fit. Any comments welcomed (if I'm not actually the only one on this thread, as I do feel a bit daft posting "to myself"! Hehe!)

Been on Xeno-canto this morning, and think one of the reed warbler yesterday may have been a moustached warbler. I got views through the reeds, so not at all ideal, and felt one of the birds looked more sedge-warbler like with a darker cap and more streaked back, and it seems the songs are quite similar, so seems to fit. Any comments welcomed (if I'm not actually the only one on this thread, as I do feel a bit daft posting "to myself"! Hehe!)
Keep em coming Lazza,only three weeks before we arrive ,your comments are really welcome,sounds like you are really enjoying the trip.
Moustached would be a first for me!!!!
Hopefully we will see some good views of my favourite bird the Stone curlew.

Keep em coming Lazza,only three weeks before we arrive ,your comments are really welcome,sounds like you are really enjoying the trip.
Moustached would be a first for me!!!!
Hopefully we will see some good views of my favourite bird the Stone curlew.

Thanks. Just glad I'm not the only one on here! Not sure if it was a moustached warbler or not, but seems to fit.

Anyway, another day, another cycle ride....

Just a short, late-afternoon jaunt out to the coast and back along the Rio Segura, hoping for great reed warbler and/or nightingale. Instead, I got good views of a little bittern, flushed by a fisherman from reeds, which flew along the river a short way before plunging back into the reed bed.

Last edited:
Out to El Hondo first thing, and finally, finally added the missing half of the two local, rare ducks - and a lifer for me

And, as a bonus, I managed to add two further species to my lifetime Spain list on the way there!

The egret roost was still together on the track near the Urbanizacion with perhaps some 40-50 cattle egret, a handful of little egret and still a single night heron among them. Further along the track I stopped to listen to warbler songs, picking up several reed warbler flitting among the reeds and hearing more Cetti's warbler too, when a familiar three-note whistle came from the nearby fields - quail! Immediately followed by a lovely winchat alighting in the nearby bushes! Both new for me in Spain :)

As I rode on, several green sandpiper played "catch me if you can" along the irrigation channel!

At El Hondo, I headed for the two hides near the visitors' centre, and straight away had excellent views of my lifer: marbled duck. This species is well known here but has avoided me in the last 5 years coming here, so I was delighted to finally get 4 of these beauties swimming serenely across open water not far in front of the northern hide! The southern hide was busy with Mediterranean gulls and lots of pochard.

Another surprise was the changes to the boardwalk, which now runs over a cleared pool rather than reeds and scrub. Although rather barren looking, it clearly gives good habitat for waders, allowing me to add the two other sandpiper species to the day's list, with a couple of wood sandpiper and half a dozen common sandpiper among the stilts.

Last edited:
Took my camera along to the egret roost yesterday, late afternoon, and of course, all the egret had gone! But the night heron remained, but was rather more wary than the last couple of sightings, so no great photos.

The air was full of house martin and swallow, and I then noticed a distant raptor coming my way. And as it got closer, it's white-and-black coloration became clearer: osprey! Another first for Spain for me, and another species that I've tried to find every year but so far had failed. I watched as it soared and hovered over the pool for a good 20 minutes before it soared off to the north.

I headed on to the Vistabella hides, although with limited time, only managed 15 minutes at the middle hide, but this was enough time to observe a magnificent great white egret slowly make its way across the lake, and also to add yet another species to my Spain list, as a couple of sand martin were in among the swallows, house martins and swifts feeding low over the water

Users who are viewing this thread

Back