• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Bailey's Jungle Hero 21st April 2012 8pm BBC2 (1 Viewer)

If you haven't heard of Alfred Russel Wallace, watch this.

If you have, watch it anyway for a superb performance from Bill Bailey.

John

It was really good. Lots of good science and social history, but in a very easy manner.

I'm a fan of Bill, but he could have been a bit too 'comedian' for this subject, but he got the balance just right and his enthusiasm (and a good basic knowledge too) shone through.

I don't think Wallace has ever been "forgotten" though. Overshadowed, maybe, but Darwin did all the major publishing so deserves the major credit. But any student of biology knows all about Wallace. Still great to see him championed on prime-time TV though.

Last edited:
I agree, I think he overplayed the "he was robbed" card. He's definitely not as famous as Darwin to people outside science/natural history, but to those well informed he plays a significant part in the development of natural selection as an idea. It's good that attempts are being made to make his name more widely known amongst the general public.

I agree, I think he overplayed the "he was robbed" card. He's definitely not as famous as Darwin to people outside science/natural history, but to those well informed he plays a significant part in the development of natural selection as an idea. It's good that attempts are being made to make his name more widely known amongst the general public.

Pretty much agree but it was interesting to see the sociological contrast. Well conected "Oxbridge" vs 14 year old school leaver.
Remember also that the statue of Darwin is centre stage at the Natural History Museum, London. Was very tempted to put my Wallace tartan scarf round its neck when I was there in February.
Must confess to not having heard about him until I completed the Open University Science Foundation Course in 1971.
Enjoyed the programme and am pleased that more people will be aware of his work.

It's only relatively recently that the Darwin statue took centre stage and rightly so I think. Before then it was Richard Owen, founder of the museum and enemy of Darwin who sat where Darwin does now.

It's only relatively recently that the Darwin statue took centre stage and rightly so I think. Before then it was Richard Owen, founder of the museum and enemy of Darwin who sat where Darwin does now.

I think Wallace was offered the same burial in Westminster as Darwin, but declined. Wallace also sullied his reputation a little with some very strange ideas later in his life, and quite a bit of barking up the wrong scientific trees. Darwin kept his nose quite clean. But it's always been known as the 'Darwin-Wallace' theory of evolution, and was from the start. And we still use and call it 'the Wallace Line', the most famous biogeographical divide in biology.

And, at the end of the day, Darwin did come up with the theory of evolution 20 years before Wallace, but he sat on it until Wallace's letter forced his hand. I think if Wallace had published first and Darwin was now in his shadow we would rightly be talking of how Darwin was well and truly robbed.

Fundamentally, Darwin wrote the book that popularised the theory to the public - On The Origin of Species. So Darwin undoubtedly made the much bigger impact of thinking up and backing up the theory, and then popularising it. He started this 20 years earlier than Wallace, and had years of data from around the world as well as detailed experiments at home (on pigeons etc), which Wallace didn't have.

Darwin could have been as great as he was without Wallace, but I don't think Wallace would have had a Bill Bailey show on BBC2 if it wasn't for Darwin. He might have had the same idea, but he needed Darwin's detailed work to really nail it. Without it, others would have had to come instead of Darwin to provide the essential supporting data and experiments to get it fully accepted as quickly as it was.

I agree about the over playing off poor hard done by Wallace. He's one of the most famous scientist ever. But very enjoyable.

I finally got to see the repeats of the two parter about Wallace and was impressed with Bill Bailey's presentation of the show. Considering he's a 'funny man' (and very good one too) he came across as very knowledgeable about the subject and had an on screen gravitas which was surprising. His day job never interfered with the subject matter and unusually, the BBC have picked the right man for the job!

I reckon Bill could have another career as a serious presenter of wildlife docs - though maybe not with 'birdwatching' or 'bonanza' in the title... :smoke:

Last edited:
I too only recently caught up with this two parter and I thought it quite superb. Bill Bailey was humorous yet still serious where it mattered. I agree that it overplayed the 'unknown Wallace' angle for those who have some interest in the topic, but for the general public I don't think he was far wrong. Interesting to note that he not only fronted the programme, but also wrote it (and I think compsed the music).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back