• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Magic little raptor

Arrived at WRunton, to find a female Merlin sitting on the gate. Of course, just as I readied my camera, she flew off. The pond in the NE corner is steadily being filled in; to what purpose, I have no idea.

Trawled all the likely places for alba Wagtails, but no such luck.

Female Stonechat still on Gramboro'.

Co-operative Lapwing shot at Friary.

And that was that. Back to the delights of another two dozen reports.

Attachments

• 011pse.jpg
    011pse.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 97
Saturday in Norfolk

Had a cracking day out in Norfolk on Saturday.

Thorpe Marshes: the juv. rough-legged buzzard was showing very well

Chedgrave Marshes: several short-eared owls & marsh harriers

Cantley: flock of seven or so taiga bean geese

West Somerton to Waxham area: three cranes and a barn owl

Sheringham: the glauc. down to about 15 metres thanks to a strategic bag of offal that someone had placed on the beach

Snettisham: a stonechat and the two shore larks

"Traditional Roost": two male and a female hen harrier

Thanks to all for advice on the general area for finding the cranes. Loads more record shot photos and video footage on my blog

Attachments

• _RLBuzzard2_psp_rs.jpg
    _RLBuzzard2_psp_rs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 155
  • _crane2_psp_rs.jpg
    _crane2_psp_rs.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Glauc2_psp_rs.jpg
    Glauc2_psp_rs.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 104
Titchwell March 8th

Very quiet today and no signs of spring yet in a biting northerly

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 3 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on saltmarsh

Paul

Buckenham - last few days:
Ringed Plover, 3, Water Pipit, 2, Otter, 3, Curlew, several, 2+ neck collared Greylags, Bewick's swans, 2 2cy, Dunlin, 2, Oyk, 7, Pintail, 4, Peregrine, 2, very few Cetti's - seems they may have been clobbered a bit by the weather.
Cheers
Jono

Buckenham

I was there today, too! Saw most of the stuff you saw Jono, but also a large mixed thrush flock (probably 100+) Redwings and Fieldfares. No sign of the Reeve's Pheasants. Anyone seen them this winter?

I still don’t know the origin of this Greylag but it was at Flitcham on the 7/9/08 and it had a green neck collar reading 37X. I reported it to the BTO but they never got back to me so sent an e-mail to a friend in Natural England and he replied saying that he believes this bird had been ringed in Holland although he wasn’t 100% sure. I sent another e-mail to the BTO recently in which they replied saying that they don't now the origin of this bird and had past my e-mail onto 3 Greylag ringing projects in Europe which again I haven’t received a reply.

No sign of the Reeve's Pheasants. Anyone seen them this winter?

I've seen two Reeve's Pheasants this winter, but both around Strumpshaw, so maybe they are just ranging a bit further. One was in a field to the north of Low Road on the way to the reserve from Brundall, and one was in Strumpshaw reserve woods feeding with common Pheasants.

I still don’t know the origin of this Greylag but it was at Flitcham on the 7/9/08 and it had a green neck collar reading 37X. I reported it to the BTO but they never got back to me so sent an e-mail to a friend in Natural England and he replied saying that he believes this bird had been ringed in Holland although he wasn’t 100% sure. I sent another e-mail to the BTO recently in which they replied saying that they don't now the origin of this bird and had past my e-mail onto 3 Greylag ringing projects in Europe which again I haven’t received a reply.

Not quite sure how this one slipped through the net (no pun intended), but I chased it up this morning and have some rough details. This bird was ringed on 1 June 2000 in Damme, Belgium as an adult male. Hopefully I'll get more details shortly, so will post them up here. This bird has been seen in the UK before, but isn't typical of the wider study population.

So never lose faith and details will always get through eventually!

It's amazing where these birds come from, and Norfolk has now had neck-collared Greylags from Orkney, Belgium and Spain!

Not quite sure how this one slipped through the net (no pun intended), but I chased it up this morning and have some rough details. This bird was ringed on 1 June 2000 in Damme, Belgium as an adult male. Hopefully I'll get more details shortly, so will post them up here. This bird has been seen in the UK before, but isn't typical of the wider study population.

So never lose faith and details will always get through eventually!

It's amazing where these birds come from, and Norfolk has now had neck-collared Greylags from Orkney, Belgium and Spain!

Thanks for the info Mark :t:

Crossbills in the brecks

Amazing numbers of crossbills today, at least 40 in Thetford Warren plus 3-4 Woodlarks, 22 at Santon Downham and 2+ at Lynford. Little else apart from a pair of Willow Tits.

Just a quick note that there's still a Willow Tit visiting the feeders at Strumpshaw - think it's been around for a while now, though sightings are a bit erratic. My Dad saw it today, having located it by the classic nasal call.

Does anybody know whether the hawfinches are showing at Lyndford Arboretum at the moment. Went there last March and were unlucky. Was thinking of making a visit at the weekend.

While Im in the area may give Mayday Farm a quick look - does anybody know whether theres much about - Goshawk, Woodlark etc?

Does anybody know whether the hawfinches are showing at Lyndford Arboretum at the moment. Went there last March and were unlucky. Was thinking of making a visit at the weekend.

While Im in the area may give Mayday Farm a quick look - does anybody know whether theres much about - Goshawk, Woodlark etc?

Hawfinches were reported at Lynford on Sunday (BirdGuides) and 2 Goshawks at Mayday on the same day (Suffolk BINS Website). Good luck!

Titchwell March 11th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on saltmarsh pool
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Bittern - 1 on grazing marsh pool
Buzzard - 2 over saltmarsh

Paul

Woodlarks will now be widespread in the forest - just find a nice open area and, ideally, some sunshine!

Recent Trip to Norfolk

Here are a couple of photos from my recent trip to the Norfolk Coast. weather was pretty bad (25-27th Feb) so camera stayed under wraps most of the time. The Snow Bunting was at Salthouse and the Swans and Pochard at Welney.

I really enjoy visiting Norfolk although I think I'll leave it till a little later next year.

Attachments

• Snowbunting-web1.jpg
    Snowbunting-web1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Welney-web.jpg
    Welney-web.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back