• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Outfitter Series 10x42 ????? (1 Viewer)

huntabsarokee

Anybody look through their "new" Outfitter Series made by Steiner? They have HD glass. I went to Cabelas and thought I was going to leave with a pair of Vortex Viper HD in 8x42 but in the end couldn't make up my mind. I have an old pair of Monarchs in 10x42 that I don't care for any more. I liked the view of the Outfitter Series best but was convinced I wanted a 8x and they are only offered in 10x. I thought they looked better than the Vipers but that may have been from comparing 2 different maginification binocs. Bigger problem is the warranty is only 10 years which I though was poor for spending $599. Well today I look online and they are only $399. FOV is narrow too but I thought they looked nice. Hoping someone had an opinion. Maybe FrankD checked them out too at Hamburg?

Nope, not yet. I haven't been out to the store in a few months. I will see what I can do about that this weekend as I am scheduled to meet up with another BF member at Hawk Mountain as well.

Ok Thanks. I will be interested in what you have to say about them. The sales guy that waited on my seemed to be pushing them as the best they had in the $500 range. Of course he did tell me they had a lifetime warranty but when I checked when I got home it was only 10 years.

A little off topic but do you know about the place on the mountain east of Hamburg for star watching. Can't think of the name now. Guy I use to work with was big into it. Just curious and you mentioning Hawk Mt made me think of it.

Anybody look through their "new" Outfitter Series made by Steiner? They have HD glass. I went to Cabelas and thought I was going to leave with a pair of Vortex Viper HD in 8x42 but in the end couldn't make up my mind. I have an old pair of Monarchs in 10x42 that I don't care for any more. I liked the view of the Outfitter Series best but was convinced I wanted a 8x and they are only offered in 10x. I thought they looked better than the Vipers but that may have been from comparing 2 different maginification binocs. Bigger problem is the warranty is only 10 years which I though was poor for spending $599. Well today I look online and they are only $399. FOV is narrow too but I thought they looked nice. Hoping someone had an opinion. Maybe FrankD checked them out too at Hamburg?

399 vs 599; and you think they look better than the vortex. Add in the toughness of the Steiner and it Sounds like an easy decision. Let us know if you buy them and post a review either way.

If they were 8x I would get them ASAP especially with Cabelas return policy. I find that I can't hold 10x steady enough or at least I think its a problem. Plus I just bought a ED50 with the 27X wide for long range viewing. BUT I am not sold the problem on the binocs is 10X and my shakes maybe just my current Monarchs. I though if the Outfitter Series were far better than my Monarchs maybe I would take a chance on the 10X again knowing Cabelas return policy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back