• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron and colour fringeing (1 Viewer)

My recent experiences bear out remarks made in a number of previous threads. I went to InFocus at Slimbridge (knowlegable and helpful staff) with the idea of trying the Imagic 80 plus 20-60x HDF eyepiece.

Now this is a very nice combo except for slight purple fringeing of high contrast images at high magnification.

The same 20-60 eyepeice was set up in an ES80 GA .. problem solved. A beautiful bright image at all magnifications. Bugger - there goes another sixty quid!

As a (financial) compromise, I settled on the ES80 + 25x eyepiece and will be budgeting for the zoom later in the year.

Based on my (so far) limited use, this is one very nice 'scope.

Is is a nice scope. I can still get some colour fringing on on or two photo's ( only happened on one day of two different gulls so far ). It was not visible to the naked eye, only on the picture, I suppose it could have been the camera lens. Anyone know if this is possible?.
Canon Powershot A80.
Photo below
But don't let it put you off, its a nice scope!.

Attachments

• common gull1.jpg
    common gull1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
wiltshirejohn said:
The same 20-60 eyepeice was set up in an ES80 GA .. problem solved. A beautiful bright image at all magnifications. Bugger - there goes another sixty quid!

Based on my (so far) limited use, this is one very nice 'scope.
I do sympathise over the money...........

alan_rymer said:
Is is a nice scope. I can still get some colour fringing on on or two photo's ( only happened on one day of two different gulls so far ). It was visible to the naked eye, only on the picture, I suppose it could have been the camera lens. Anyone know if this is possible?.
Canon Powershot A80.
Photo below

That's the sort of thing I was seeing through the Imagic but not the ES.
The ES is crisp and clean.

BTW Alan, which eyepiece do you use?

John C.

wiltshirejohn said:
alan_rymer said:
Is is a nice scope. I can still get some colour fringing on on or two photo's ( only happened on one day of two different gulls so far ). It was visible to the naked eye, only on the picture, I suppose it could have been the camera lens. Anyone know if this is possible?.
Canon Powershot A80.
Photo below

That's the sort of thing I was seeing through the Imagic but not the ES.
The ES is crisp and clean.

BTW Alan, which eyepiece do you use?

John C.
John

My post should have read:
It was not visible to the naked eye, only on the picture,
I have added the "not" to my original post.

I had a x30 HDF but now use a 20-60HDF zoom on my ES80 GA all the time. The 30x is now an 18x on my 52mm Opticron MM2.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back