Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 29th December 2008, 19:40   #1
Glosbirder
Gentleman Antiquarian

Bushnell Excursion - have I missed a trick?

Today I bought a pair of 8x42 Excursions from Ace in Bath; they seemed the best value in terms of image quality for my budget, I was especially impressed with the FoV.

However I wonder if I've missed a trick in that the FoV of the 10x42 is the same as many 8x42 binos. Would the 10x suffer from less shake as a result/

Your thoughts please

Happy New Year to all
Old Monday 29th December 2008, 20:07   #2
Kevin Purcell

No ... shake is just a function of the magnification. The amount the bird bounces around has no relation to the size of the FOV or AFOV.

The FOV only determines how much of the picture you see. e.g. with your naked eye you see the same amount of shake looking through a toilet roll tube as not looking through the tube.

The decent sized 6.5 degree FOV (IIRC) just helps find and keep the birds in view.
Old Monday 29th December 2008, 21:07   #3
John S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosbirder View Post
Today I bought a pair of 8x42 Excursions from Ace in Bath; they seemed the best value in terms of image quality for my budget, I was especially impressed with the FoV.

However I wonder if I've missed a trick in that the FoV of the 10x42 is the same as many 8x42 binos. Would the 10x suffer from less shake as a result/

Your thoughts please

Happy New Year to all

Shake is a function of how steady your hands are, magnification and the ease with which the binoculars are held. Whether you could hold a 10x or 12x binocular steady enough to deliver a useful image can really only be determined by trying them in a test. If the FOV is truly the same then the 10x glasses will deliver an impressive field. You might give them a try.
Old Wednesday 31st December 2008, 13:37   #4
FrankD

I tend to agree with the others and believe you made the right choice by going with the 8x's. That huge field of view most certainly is addictive and will definitely help you track birds much more easily.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: