• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl - Ravensthorpe (1 Viewer)

Kevin Groocock

This Tawny Owl was spotted near the out flow at Ravensthorpe Reservoir on 11th September 2009. It took me completely by surprise as it was in the open and in bright sunshine (odd indeed). Any local birders come across it?

Work was being carried out in the woodland nearby so it could have been disturbed. Other thoughts are of a sick or injured bird or possibly an escape.

Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 101
I came across a tawny in the open, sitting in the sun, like yours a couple of years ago. My thoughts at the time were that it was probably a sick bird, or one that had received a soaking, and that it was trying to warm itself.

Mike

Looks ok to me. There are faint indications in the third pic that it's been bathing (drying feathers around beak and below?), and in the middle pic the way the right foot is held suggests to me a relaxed owl rather than a stressed bird. So I see a tawny that's enjoying the sun after a short bath. Not unusual, and no need for sickness or disturbance or escapee to explain. A bit sleepy maybe.

Now if you'd approached and it had let you pick it up . . .

Edit: On second thoughts the possible wetting around the beak and none elsewhere is more simply explained by the owl having gone for a drink.

Last edited:
Cheers for your thoughts.

I have to agree that the Tawny is probably just enjoying the sun! Best view in 40 years though, so well chuffed!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back