• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gift Help (1 Viewer)

pete seaman

It is our grandsons 6th birthday at the end of January and as well as RSPB membership we were thinking od some bins of his own.As a good Yorkshireman I had thought of Opticron Adventurer 8x32 WP any one out there tried these with youngsters ? Thet will make a change from the Leggo and Hot Wheels that grandad will be playing with this Christmas.

I haven't tried that particular configuration in that model. I have tried the 8x40 Adventurer Porro. The least expensive Opticron besides that would be either the Savannas or the Oregons. Both are very good optically for the price. The Savannah 6x30 is what I would recommend for a 6 year old both because of the inherent advantages optically....less focusing for example....and also because of the narrower IPD setting available for this model.

Pete,

Frank's right, that the IPD could well be a problem for a 6 year old. The Savanna and Savanna R would be better but more money.

The model I see most youngsters (and quite a few adults) using is the RSPB Puffin 8×32 at about £50 but they don't list the IPD on that for some reason. 500g isn't particularly light though. They also list a children's 6x17 model for half the money.
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/binoculars-scopes/binoculars.html?recipient=691&m-layered=1

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
Hi,

when looking for a first pair of bins for my 7 year old godchild the shortlist was Kowa YF 6x30 and Pentax Papillo 2 6.5x21.

She had tried my Zeiss Conquest 10x25 and Nikon E2 8x30 before and as expected couldn't hold the 10x steady at all and it was so-so with the 8x. I also saw that her IPD was not very low so my E2 worked.

I chose the Papillo 2 despite the slightly higher price for the added benefit of bug watching, which she enjoys too.

From the Opticron Range the Savanah 6x30 looks suitable and a lot like the Kowa YF / Leupold Yosemite.
I'm afraid the Papillo is unique atm with its minimum focus range of half a meter...

Regards,

Joachim

Indeed - nice field and good exit pupil diameter in a small package. If sb. has it, please let us know how it is.

Joachim

I purchased 2 pairs of the 6x30 Savanna for Christmas presents after looking at Frank D's. 1 pair is for my 7 year old daughter and I think they are perfect for a young child. Nice view, priced right, and think the build quality was great. Much nicer than the similar priced Leupold Yosemite.

Pete,

The Adventurer WP 8x32 is perhaps too large for a 6 year old and the IPD is not short enough for him. I can say that most of the Education Depts of the Wildlife Trusts that I deal with have the Savanna WP 8x30 as their 'Education Binocular' as it has a 50mm IPD.

If you insist on a roof prism then there is the Savanna R 8x33/10x33 both of which have an IPD of 52mm.

Above that there is the Discovery WP PC 8x32 which is the smallest unit of all the models that I have listed and has 52mm IPD, it is however the most expensive.

I know that it is to be a gift but there really is no substitute for him trying them out in the field and that you should try to get along to one of the many Field Events to try before you buy.

The Fujinon 5x21 has a 59.5mm minimum IPD.
Close focus for me 8ft.
With glasses 6ft. Glasses can be used.

Ultrawide 5x21 it says. I don't think so. 9.4 deg. right dioptre. Fujinon Fujifilm.
Blue, green and uncoated surfaces.
Fold down rubber eyecups.
I would expect at least 12 deg. field.

But small and light.

The Fujinon 5x21 has a 59.5mm minimum IPD.
Close focus for me 8ft.
With glasses 6ft. Glasses can be used.

Ultrawide 5x21 it says. I don't think so. 9.4 deg. right dioptre. Fujinon Fujifilm.
Blue, green and uncoated surfaces.
Fold down rubber eyecups.
I would expect at least 12 deg. field.

But small and light.

I think that you are older than 6 though o:)

Hi Chris,
Some people think I am about 6.
I sometimes think so myself.

Actually I am 21 and a bit. Unfortunately a large bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back