• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal 80 F-ed (1 Viewer)

I got the 65 the other day and used it yesterday and on Saturday.
For the money it is a fantastic scope. Clear images, very smooth operation and seems sturdy enough to handle a few knocks. I am throughly impressed with it.
I have read a lot of reviews for the 80 and they were all favorable too.

the answer is YES, the only caveat being the fact that it is big and heavy compared to comparable scopes. It is probably the best "value" scope out there in terms of optics-for-the-money if you can handle the extra weight.

there are many threads on this scope so use the "search" function, especially keep an eye out for FrankD's thread comparing this scope to the Zen-Ray and Theron 82mm scopes: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204083

re: Regal 65

Hi there yes the Regal 65 is definitely worth the asking price, and probably then some.

I have the spotter paired with a 17mm Hyperion and it's quite a pleasant combo. The 13mm Hype is also a good match, a bit more power but the 17 is where the scope hits its sweet spot. Using a fixed power ocular really takes the 65FED to a new level for me, but the included zoom is reallly decent also.

Not quite the equal of my larger Nikon 82ED, but then in absolute terms not that far behind. I am always amazed when using the spotter just how good it holds up to top tier gear,

enjoy,
UTC

The ultima ED never stirred up the same level of interest in the 10 or 15 years that has been in the market..the regal series on the other hand has pretty much carved a niche in the medium-low price point,with tons of good reviews .The folks of celestron really rounded the package with a bunch features(rotatory tripod mount,astronomy eyepieces,etc...)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back