• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat friendly gardens (1 Viewer)

dampflippers

I first saw bats feeding over our garden last year, and am now trying to make it better for bats.
I have a pond to supply water and midges and mosquitos etc, flowering climbers (but I am about to plant some more) to attract moths, lilac, rowan, and hawthorn to attract moths and other insects. I have put up some bat boxes.
Last week I noticed at about 9 pm a bat was flying over my neighbours' garden, which is bigger but less rich and has no pond. I decided that bats might not like having to dodge the washing line which bisects the garden by the pond, so I took it down (I can put it up when I need it) and last night I was rewarded by a bat flying over my garden. It may just be a coincidence, but now they have a larger area of unencumbered access.
I had my detctor on it, but I could also see the insects it was chasing! Fascinating!

dampflippers said:
I first saw bats feeding over our garden last year, and am now trying to make it better for bats.
I have a pond to supply water and midges and mosquitos etc, flowering climbers (but I am about to plant some more) to attract moths, lilac, rowan, and hawthorn to attract moths and other insects. I have put up some bat boxes.
Last week I noticed at about 9 pm a bat was flying over my neighbours' garden, which is bigger but less rich and has no pond. I decided that bats might not like having to dodge the washing line which bisects the garden by the pond, so I took it down (I can put it up when I need it) and last night I was rewarded by a bat flying over my garden. It may just be a coincidence, but now they have a larger area of unencumbered access.
I had my detctor on it, but I could also see the insects it was chasing! Fascinating!

Keep up the good work. I wish I had bats in my Garden..

littlestintboy said:
Keep up the good work. I wish I had bats in my Garden..

You can have all of mine Littlestintboy,

They're a positive menace in my village in the Derwent Valley, and especially around the moth trap in my garden. The little perishers even roost in my loft.

I don't mind them eating Greenfly and 'Mossies' but I object to them swooping down and pinching moths about to enter my trap. other than that, they are nice to watch, whilst sitting on the front doorstep at dusk with a beer or two

Harry.

Bats like homegarden much especially guava fruits.

One evening, I was in light evening walk in my homegarden in Gorkha, Nepal. There were 5 guava fruit trees and they are ripening. Just in the ground floor, I saw a guava with signs of teeth but not sure of which animal it is. I became very much curious to know which bird/animal does this damage. In the evening of next day, I got my position silently hiding near the guava trees, it was around 8 PM. After a few minutes patience, a bird like animal flew rapidly but I was not able to detect and identify. I strengthened my patience again for some minutes and finally it again came and hanging on the branch of the guava. It was bat.

Although it is very simple, we most are unknowingly missing the enjoyful events in our gardens. We can play with bats, birds and butterflies, if we use a little motive towards it.
Like this way, the information on bats can be collected from grassroot level. Only simple questionnaire can reveal great information on bats in Nepal.

Gandhiv

harry eales said:
You can have all of mine Littlestintboy,

They're a positive menace in my village in the Derwent Valley, and especially around the moth trap in my garden. The little perishers even roost in my loft.

I don't mind them eating Greenfly and 'Mossies' but I object to them swooping down and pinching moths about to enter my trap. other than that, they are nice to watch, whilst sitting on the front doorstep at dusk with a beer or two

Harry.

Just spotted your reply Harry (sorry for the delay) I'd be happy to have a few of your bats(and your beers). I do have bats near my house but dont like lurking near the bushes at night...Honestly!! ;)

littlestintboy said:
Just spotted your reply Harry (sorry for the delay) I'd be happy to have a few of your bats(and your beers). I do have bats near my house but dont like lurking near the bushes at night...Honestly!! ;)

Hello littlestintboy,
There's no harm in lurking in the bushes in your garden, it's when you do it elsewhere your likely to be accosted by your local PC Plod. The best time for actually seeing Bats is the last hour of dusk, before complete darkness descends. If you operate a moth trap though, you can observe them diving into the light radius to pinch all the moths that would be new records for your garden. lol.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello littlestintboy,
There's no harm in lurking in the bushes in your garden, it's when you do it elsewhere your likely to be accosted by your local PC Plod. The best time for actually seeing Bats is the last hour of dusk, before complete darkness descends. If you operate a moth trap though, you can observe them diving into the light radius to pinch all the moths that would be new records for your garden. lol.

Harry

Thanks again for the tips Harry but as Bats are in a Public place, I will leave it to when im not on my own...Ive been thinking of a moth trap im my garden any advice will be very much welcomed...
Cheers Lsb

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back