• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Ducks & Geese (1 Viewer)

hangarman2k

hangarman2k
Having got to grips with land birds,I have turned my attention to waterbirds.
I have been visiting my local ponds,lakes & ressers to see and learn.
Trouble is that nearly all that I see are not in any of my bird books or CDs,is there a lot of cross breeding going on in the waterbird world.
also Ive seen a all white goose that is not a Snow Goose,2 all white ducks,one large and one small, which was pairing up with a male Mallard.
Is there a web site on D & G identifacation,or if not I am going back to land birds.
Its all so confusing.

Don't give up yet hangerman

The ducks and geese you have seen are farmyard types. Domesticated versions of the mallard and greylag respectively.

If you go to Pennington Flash (probally the best birding site in gt manchester, excellent for beginners). The birds you'll see form the carpark are mostly domestics. The ducks seen from the hides are 'proper' wild birds such as gadwall, shoveler, teal, goldeneye etc.

Cheers

:t:
Steven Astley said:
Don't give up yet hangerman

The ducks and geese you have seen are farmyard types. Domesticated versions of the mallard and greylag respectively.

If you go to Pennington Flash (probally the best birding site in gt manchester, excellent for beginners). The birds you'll see form the carpark are mostly domestics. The ducks seen from the hides are 'proper' wild birds such as gadwall, shoveler, teal, goldeneye etc.

Cheers Steven,Pennington Flash here I come

duck and geese are fairly easy when you learn the main features with them.
i have real big problems with identifying warblers and waders i can sit for our's and look at a garden warbler and wonder what it is.
keep and the good work and keep trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back