• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanner Falcon UK (1 Viewer)

shorebirder

Taken this morning, one better photo of upperparts only still to come from a friend. Looks like ad Male Lanner

Any comments. Will post other pic later, better upperpart shot but does not show head.

Attachments

• Prob Lanner3 Ravenscar 12.04.09s.jpg
    Prob Lanner3 Ravenscar 12.04.09s.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 256
two more shots.
Dave

Attachments

• Prob Lanner2 Ravenscar 12.04.09.JPGs1.jpg
    Prob Lanner2 Ravenscar 12.04.09.JPGs1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 230
  • Prob Lanner Ravenscar 12.04.09s2.jpg
    Prob Lanner Ravenscar 12.04.09s2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 216
Almost certainly a hybrid lost by a falconer. They're available in all combinations from Merlin/Gyr to Saker/Gyr

These hybrid falcons can cause a lot of id problems for birders.Still cannot understand why falconers create these hybrids.I have heard some falconers say they are stronger and better hunting birds than pure species.But in my view you cannot get anything better than a pure bred Peregrine etc for hunting.

Thanks for comments, did seem a little pale for what I expected of Lanner but not seen any real wild birds this well and did read that North African Lanners can be pale. Nice change from Peregrine though, presume could pair up with local true Peregrines and have variant offspring.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back