• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Log Feeder (1 Viewer)

zebrafinch723

I made a log feeder and so far it has attracted many birds! :bounce:
CaroliniaWren1.jpg

MaleDowny.jpg

:scribe: Every X-mas I tell myself to go out with a small saw and cut off a length from the base of discarded X-mas trees on the curb side. It's either too cold or I am too lazy or both. I finally bought one and now am too lazy to fill the holes and hang it. I still hang 2 suet feeders outside my door. I hate seed feeders as too much ends up on the floor and strange things start to grow in the yard.
What do you put in your feeder? I have been thinking about softening sof of the suet cakes and packing the holes.

BiLL

Bill2468 said:
:scribe: Every X-mas I tell myself to go out with a small saw and cut off a length from the base of discarded X-mas trees on the curb side. It's either too cold or I am too lazy or both. I finally bought one and now am too lazy to fill the holes and hang it. I still hang 2 suet feeders outside my door. I hate seed feeders as too much ends up on the floor and strange things start to grow in the yard.
What do you put in your feeder? I have been thinking about softening sof of the suet cakes and packing the holes.

BiLL
When I purchased my feeder I also bought the suet "logs" that are made to fit the holes - only I find that they are too loose and slip out - I too have been considering cutting up a square suet and stuffing it in the holes. Haven't tried it yet though.....

In the past (but just during the winter when it's cold), I have made a mixture of melted lard (I just put it in a large platic container and put it in the microwave til it melts...a minute or two), cornmeal, oatmeal, a container of cranberry/orange relish, and whatever else I have on hand to thicken it up in the way of raisins, fruit bits etc. You can always add some cracked corn, birdseed etc....oh, and peanut butter! (that's actually a main ingredient!)

Then I keep it covered in the cold garage, and use an old big spoon to pack the mix into the holes.

The birds are very happy to eat it!

marianna said:
In the past (but just during the winter when it's cold), I have made a mixture of melted lard (I just put it in a large platic container and put it in the microwave til it melts...a minute or two), cornmeal, oatmeal, a container of cranberry/orange relish, and whatever else I have on hand to thicken it up in the way of raisins, fruit bits etc. You can always add some cracked corn, birdseed etc....oh, and peanut butter! (that's actually a main ingredient!)

Then I keep it covered in the cold garage, and use an old big spoon to pack the mix into the holes.

The birds are very happy to eat it!
Thanks for the recipe Marianna - sounds easy enough - will give it a try this winter - nice word on a HOT day!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back