• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New feeder (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
A little while ago, I installed a new feeder in the shrub by the study window, because I was spending so much time in here, (no prizes for guessing why)!!! The suet block only lasts a few days (I make 2 at a time now), and the hearts are popular too - the end section is for peanuts. The main visitors are bluetits, often 2 or 3 at a time, but great tits come occasionally as do sparrows. A robin also has a go at the suet block, but he'd really rather have mealworms on the nearby shelf.

(Not a good pic - taken just now, on a dull wet day, through a double glazed window).

Attachments

• studyfeeder 008.jpg
    studyfeeder 008.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 146
An interesting design Elizabeth. I may even give that a go myself as I have everything you used to hand.

Sunflower hearts are definitely the most popular with our birds with the suet blocks a close second. Peanuts being hit and miss.

IanF said:
An interesting design Elizabeth. I may even give that a go myself as I have everything you used to hand.

Sunflower hearts are definitely the most popular with our birds with the suet blocks a close second. Peanuts being hit and miss.

Mmm - like a credit card????

Peanuts are quite popular with the juvenile bluetits just now, but I don't see adults on them much.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Mmm - like a credit card????

Peanuts are quite popular with the juvenile bluetits just now, but I don't see adults on them much.
Elizabeth! a little cynical ;)

I must admit that we get through a 25 kg sack of sunflower hearts every couple of months - still it's for the birds :king:

Did you buy it local? have not seen them in CJbird mag they do luck good.
bert.

bert said:
bert.

Sorry Bert, I didn't notice this yesterday. It was mail order, but so far I have been unable to track it down. I'll search later - but I haven't had my breakfast yet!!!!

Looks like a fly-in fast food restaurant ;)
Does anyone have info over following summer feeding topic:
Most of the birds (even seedfeeding) feed their young with insects. Can summer feeding be harmful to the young birds´ development?

bert said:
bert.

Bert - I tracked it down to Garden Bird Supplies, but as it wasn't in their catalogue I emailed them to enquire - it was a "limited edition" apparently and is no longer available. Looks like a spot of DIY is required!!! :eek!:

Round here everyone has peanuts out - the birds all go wild for 'em....can't keep the Great Spotted Woodpeckers off, and today I counted 12 Great Tits on two feeders.......honest I not bragging, but we've just moved and I'm really enjoying racking up the garden list.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back