• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

Had a quick walk around my very local patch (Lanchester Walk, Bearpark) today. The usual suspects around, Willow Warblers, Chiff Chaffs, Whitethroat, Yellowhammers, Jays, Linnets, Skylarks, Kestrel, Wren, GS Woodpecker plenty of Swallows and Swifts and on the river 2 Dipper, a Greywagtail and the first Kingfisher I've seen here for a while.

Paul

Help with ID

Please can someone tell me what these birds are. It was taken today at Greatham Creek.

thanks again

Noel

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 176
Temminck's Stint present on Greatham Creek Tidal Pool yesterday but no sign today. The Spotted Redshank was around again though well up the Creek.

Tidal Pool - Dunlin c.30, Shelduck x22, Avocet x2, Black-tailed Godwit x4,, Redshank x2, Little Ringed Plover x3. Lots of Swallows, Linnets, Meadow Pipit and Goldfinch with young.

RSPB Saltholme - Bottom Tank - Ruff x1 (same one), Black-tailed Godwit x1, Snipe x2, Little Ringed Plover x3, Redshank c.8, Avocet x1.

Coatham Stob - Barn Owls still showing well.

Attachments

• IMG_0286 copyao.jpg
    IMG_0286 copyao.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0346aao.jpg
    IMG_0346aao.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0830bo.jpg
    IMG_0830bo.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0814b.jpg
    IMG_0814b.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1288bo.jpg
    IMG_1288bo.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 74
Crimdon Dene this afternoon. A Dotterel was feeding along the edge of the beach with several Dunlin. Likely the same bird that was seen briefly last Sunday. Frequently disturbed by dog walkers but returned several times. It seemed to be sticking to a 100m stretch from the Tern colony northwards.

Also present was a Roseate Tern which was hanging around with the Little Tern and Common Tern. Several Sandwich Tern also feeding just off the beach.

Attachments

• IMG_1989bo.jpg
    IMG_1989bo.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1498ao.jpg
    IMG_1498ao.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1699aao.jpg
    IMG_1699aao.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1759ao.jpg
    IMG_1759ao.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1800ao.jpg
    IMG_1800ao.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 79
Dormans Pool - 8.30am - Cetti's Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Whitethroat.

RSPB Saltholme - 9.30am - Bottom Tank - Temminck's Stint, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Snipe, Avocet x4.

Crimdon Dene - 11.30am - Dotterel still present, singles of Roseate Tern, Common Tern and Arctic Tern plus several Sandwich Tern, Little Tern c50. Several Red-throated Diver (9 counted by others), Razorbill and Gannets.

Castle Lake, Bishop Middleham - pm - Hobby x1, Buzzard, Kestrel, Stonechat juv x2, Linnet, Yellow Wagtail juv, Little Ringed Plover. Very entertaining watching the Hobby as it hawked dragonflies and interacted with Swallows and a Kestrel and even better when it landed on a post in front of the hide for a few seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_2335a.jpg
    IMG_2335a.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2366a.jpg
    IMG_2366a.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2636ab.jpg
    IMG_2636ab.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2660a.jpg
    IMG_2660a.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2782a.jpg
    IMG_2782a.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 95
A couple more photos from today.

Attachments

• IMG_2386ao.jpg
    IMG_2386ao.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2602ao.jpg
    IMG_2602ao.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2825ao.jpg
    IMG_2825ao.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2854ao.jpg
    IMG_2854ao.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2934a.jpg
    IMG_2934a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 121
Crimdon Dene this afternoon. A Dotterel was feeding along the edge of the beach with several Dunlin. Likely the same bird that was seen briefly last Sunday. Frequently disturbed by dog walkers but returned several times. It seemed to be sticking to a 100m stretch from the Tern colony northwards.

Good to catch up with you yesterday Ian.

Hobby was superb to watch :t:
---------------------------------------

NB:
It might be worth pointing out that there are birds with small chicks amongst the pebbles north of the fenced off Crimdon tern colony.
It would be a shame if they were trampled by birders lingering in that area.

----------------------------------------

a couple of us went to check up on some Barn owls yesterday evening

the male delivered food several times to the female in an additional nest hole, as well as continuing to supply the well advanced chicks in seperate cavities.

this would suggest that they are on with or close to producing a second clutch.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• 8th-JULY_PM-010_.gif
    8th-JULY_PM-010_.gif
    83.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Three Barn Owl nest boxes were checked in the County this morning - one drew a blank but the other two each contained five owlets - all ringed. A great sight to see them doing so well. One of the boxes held just two young last year.

No sign of the Hobby up until 3.00pm at Castle Lake but plenty of other birds to see. Maybe a little too dull and windy for it today.

Crimdon Dene - the Dotterel was showing well again and obligingly stretched it's wings open right in front of us. Gannets 20+ feeding offshore plus a few Red-throated Divers, Razorbill c20, Guillemot c.20, Roseate Tern x1, Common Tern x1 and Little Tern c.40, Ringed Plover and Dunlin on the beach plus a few Sandwich Tern offshore.

No sign of any agititated birds or chicks in the 'problem' area today as that was where the Dotterel was hanging around again.

Attachments

• IMG_3084a.jpg
    IMG_3084a.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3092a.jpg
    IMG_3092a.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3128a.jpg
    IMG_3128a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3305ao.jpg
    IMG_3305ao.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3322b.jpg
    IMG_3322b.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 87
Three Barn Owl nest boxes were checked in the County this morning - one drew a blank but the other two each contained five owlets - all ringed. A great sight to see them doing so well. One of the boxes held just two young last year.

Great to see Ian - and lovely photos, those chicks are so cute :t:

Crimdon Dene - the Dotterel was showing well again and obligingly stretched it's wings open right in front of us. Gannets 20+ feeding offshore plus a few Red-throated Divers, Razorbill c20, Guillemot c.20, Roseate Tern x1, Common Tern x1 and Little Tern c.40, Ringed Plover and Dunlin on the beach plus a few Sandwich Tern offshore.

No sign of any agititated birds or chicks in the 'problem' area today as that was where the Dotterel was hanging around again.

Glad to have bumped into you in the car park - thanks for the advice and directions today Ian - really appreciated :t:

Great to see Ian - and lovely photos, those chicks are so cute :t:

Glad to have bumped into you in the car park - thanks for the advice and directions today Ian - really appreciated :t:

It was good to meet you again as well Derek and a few other faces I'd not seen in quite a while. Luckily the Dotterel put on a good show for us.

No sign of the Hobby up until 3.00pm at Castle Lake but plenty of other birds to see. Maybe a little too dull and windy for it today.

Yes, it looks like it may well turn out to be a superb year for Barn owls in Co.Durham. - Well done & a hearty thanks to all the volunteers who have assisted the nest box project, land owners who've said "yes" & to the various funding bodies for making it possible. :t:

During 2 very blustery visits i have watched a Hobby in the relative shelter of Fishburn Lake (against the woods to the SE of C.Lake)

Hopefully the lack of agitated Little Terns is down the fact that visitors have heeded advice & were not ambling about amongst the pebbles, (as some were yesterday morning), rather than due to their offspring having already been squashed.

A few Terns from Crimdon, Taken on Friday.
Not sure on Image 3, maybe Arctic or Roseate? - HELP!.

Attachments

• _MG_2919.JPG
    _MG_2919.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_2990.JPG
    _MG_2990.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_3018.JPG
    _MG_3018.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 96
  • _MG_3028.JPG
    _MG_3028.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_7800.JPG
    _MG_7800.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 57
Few more from Crimdon.

Attachments

• _MG_2772.JPG
    _MG_2772.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_2848.JPG
    _MG_2848.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_7859.JPG
    _MG_7859.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_7884.jpg
    _MG_7884.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_8295.jpg
    _MG_8295.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 62
Saltholme Bottom Tank on Friday:
Temmincks Stint, Ruff and BT Godwit & 2 Avocet, + while looking for the stint, one of the birders noticed a Water Rail running accross towards the Island in front of the viewing screen, managed a couple of shots before It disappeared to the right of the screen.

Attachments

• _MG_3107.jpg
    _MG_3107.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_3122.jpg
    _MG_3122.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_3134.JPG
    _MG_3134.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 64
  • _MG_3136.jpg
    _MG_3136.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_3152.jpg
    _MG_3152.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 62
maybe Arctic or Roseate? - HELP!.

Hi Ray,

I commented the following on the TBC website as well:
Image 3 looks like an Arctic Tern to me. I can't see any hint of black on the tip of the bill which rules out Common Tern. Also adult Roseate Terns have quite a large amount of black on the bill, far more black than red on birds I have seen.

Fantastic photos as well by the way.
Hope this helped

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

I commented the following on the TBC website as well:
Image 4 looks like an Arctic Tern to me. I can't see any hint of black on the tip of the bill which rules out Common Tern. Also adult Roseate Terns have quite a large amount of black on the bill, far more black than red on birds I have seen.

Fantastic photos as well by the way.
Hope this helped

Cheers Andrew, I thought Arctic, but just had to make sure + I take It that you ment Image 3 on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back