• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

optricron gs815 ga (1 Viewer)

could you leave your comments on optricron gs815 ga as i have searched the net and have not read any reviews about this scope.and do you think it is value for money.

I've got one and am happy enough with it, there were a few reviews here on BF that weren't to glowing though, I shan't be changing mine for the foreseeable future as I think it was worth what I payed, which was about £500 with the HDF zoom.

Mick

Tried one today at a dealers with x32 HDF lens. Quite impressed with the image, very bright. Would be interested in hearing opinions from people who have owned one for a while though.

I have just replaced my 665ED with an 815ED. Originally I had the 20xww on my 665, which I took to the shop to try on the 815ed, on which it becomes a 25xww. I was quite suprised by the difference, the 815ed was a lot clearer & brighter. I had an issue with my 665ed with the SDL, so I flogged it & got an HDF Zoom. I still prefer my fixed eyepieces, but the performance with the zoom suprised me. I can focus it with care at 60x on a bright day, and on a duller day it probably is good to about 50x. But all in all I am very happy that I traded up to the 815ed. I may get rid of the Zoom & just get a second fixed 38xww or summert, though I must be honest for 90% of what I do the image on the 25xww is great. I had an old Leica APO77 sitting on the top of the wardrobe which I traded in to get a new pair of good Binoculars, and a cheaper scope, as it was so heavy (the Leica) I didn't take it anywhere. I cannot honestly say I can see a great difference between what my APO77 would do & what my 815ed will do. Undoubtedly there may be slight differences under certain conditions which I know little about, but whether they are worth paying an extra £700 for remains to be seen. Personally I am very happy with my 815ed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back