• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (3 Viewers)

Nothing wrong with that at all. BOTH approaches (mine and yours) are valid for our own personal reasons.
I must say Annabeth it is nice to have a female perspective on optics and binoculars in this mostly male forum but I am sure there are a lot of woman birders. Sometime I wonder why I have an interest in optics but I know it started in college when I had an Amateur Astronomy class and for some reason I developed this almost obsessive interest in optics. Really weird you know. It is nice to know there is at least one woman out there that likes binoculars too.

Steve is THE MAN on this forum. He has perfect vision, perfect discernment in all optical maters, he is pretty much just plain PERRRRFECT!!!!!! God forbid I would mention a state of the art binocular that I actually had the balls to buy, and then use my faulty glasses aided eyes to look through, in the same breath as a Chinese binocular. When I used to post about my Fury and Minox Porro on here, you made a point to tell me how noticeably inferior they were. I still own both of them, along with a Zen ED2 and enjoy them all.

Bruce, sorry, don't want to come close to starting an argument here, but yours is a stance I have to reject as emphatically as you do ;). The Chinese are damn close to alpha and anyone with an objective viewpoint will tell you so. No, they are not as good as a Swaro, not yesterday, not today, maybe not tomorrow, but the number of tomorrows needed is getting closer. I even had a well known Swarovski rep at a big show stop, take off his Swaro suit (figuratively of course) and give me an evaluation of the ZEN Prime, based just on what he could see. Forget he worked for Swarovski for just a minute or two, and just use his optical training to tell me what he thought. Long story short, what he saw would likely shock you. I was sort of surprised to be honest. He also told me he had no doubt whatever the Chinese could reverse engineer an exact duplicate of the SV that maybe could not be told from the real deal.

So, I have real world 20/20 vision. I'm 66 and don't need glasses for anything over 4' away from me. No floaters, no excess pressure, nothing I need worry about, except for what might happen at 67 or 68. Take my word for it, I have had nearly everything up to my eyes at one time or another. For me differences can be found, but they are too insignificant to matter a whit to me. When I first picked up the EL SV, I was ready to buy one right then and there if they told me what I needed them to tell me...they did not do that and I am still a happy camper with the Gold Ring, and I could be a happy camper with a Prime or a McKinley too.

I think you are sort of sounding like you are really trying to convince yourself you really did do the right thing. As far as I am concerned, you very likely did do exactly what you needed to do for your eyes. Just don't be quite so definite everybody needs to see the difference as vividly as you seem to. I surely do not see the virtues to the degree you do. If I did, I'd own one too.

B :)

Bruce, sorry, don't want to come close to starting an argument here, but yours is a stance I have to reject as emphatically as you do ;). The Chinese are damn close to alpha and anyone with an objective viewpoint will tell you so. No, they are not as good as a Swaro, not yesterday, not today, maybe not tomorrow, but the number of tomorrows needed is getting closer. I even had a well known Swarovski rep at a big show stop, take off his Swaro suit (figuratively of course) and give me an evaluation of the ZEN Prime, based just on what he could see. Forget he worked for Swarovski for just a minute or two, and just use his optical training to tell me what he thought. Long story short, what he saw would likely shock you. I was sort of surprised to be honest. He also told me he had no doubt whatever the Chinese could reverse engineer an exact duplicate of the SV that maybe could not be told from the real deal.

So, I have real world 20/20 vision. I'm 66 and don't need glasses for anything over 4' away from me. No floaters, no excess pressure, nothing I need worry about, except for what might happen at 67 or 68. Take my word for it, I have had nearly everything up to my eyes at one time or another. For me differences can be found, but they are too insignificant to matter a whit to me. When I first picked up the EL SV, I was ready to buy one right then and there if they told me what I needed them to tell me...they did not do that and I am still a happy camper with the Gold Ring, and I could be a happy camper with a Prime or a McKinley too.

I think you are sort of sounding like you are really trying to convince yourself you really did do the right thing. As far as I am concerned, you very likely did do exactly what you needed to do for your eyes. Just don't be quite so definite everybody needs to see the difference as vividly as you seem to. I surely do not see the virtues to the degree you do. If I did, I'd own one too.

B :)
I have no doubt the Chinese COULD reverse engineer the SV but well they. That is the real question.

I have a Minox Porro I paid $179 for that is as sharp as anything I've seen.

Bruce,

I think you need to specify what you mean by optical quality. Wouldn't you put sharpness or effective resolution at the top of the characteristics? I've seen several Fls and SVs that wouldn't match either the Prime or the Vanguard I have so I find your statement misleading. I have seen good FLs and ELs as well but at those prices I wouldn't expect to go cherry picking.

The alphas may do other things better and they may be more important to you but if it shows less detail than you would expect for the given magnification or less than the likes of the Prime or a Vanguard then it's not worth the price to me. Of course not every user is equally discriminating.

David

I must say Annabeth it is nice to have a female perspective on optics and binoculars in this mostly male forum but I am sure there are a lot of woman birders. Sometime I wonder why I have an interest in optics but I know it started in college when I had an Amateur Astronomy class and for some reason I developed this almost obsessive interest in optics. Really weird you know. It is nice to know there is at least one woman out there that likes binoculars too.

Don't forget about Chosun...and then there is Lulu (she doesn't comment much
but reads a lot of the posts).

My parents got me a little telescope for Xmas one year when I was young. :)

Don't forget about Chosun...and then there is Lulu (she doesn't comment much
but reads a lot of the posts).

My parents got me a little telescope for Xmas one year when I was young. :)
I didn't know Chosun was a woman either. Sorry Chosun! Your interest probably started with that scope. Weird Huh.

Clearly this statement is`nt true for either of you :-O.
I haven't really found anything I prefer overall to the SV yet. The Zeiss SF might do it optically but at 27 oz. I don't know if I could handle the weight UNLESS like Zeiss says the balance point has been moved. I will have to try one but it will probably be a year before anybody gets them in. I will probably have to wait for the 8x32 SF if that is even developed. So for now it's the SV 8x32. Optically the GR is very close to the SV but it is heavier. Remarkable bargain though if you can find one.

I have been wondering if I would buy a 8x32 HD Leupy.

Right now in my plentiful binoculars closet, I would get the 8x42 HD Leupold Gold Ring. If I could win a Zen Prime, then I might not bother. Or if I saved for a Zeiss Conquest HD demo. I am trying to tell myself that the low-end affordable I can pass on now.

My current Pentax DCF ED 8x43 are okay, but I seem not to appreciate them. The 6.3 Fov is a bit limiting though I do not miss it much. I wish I had one that made me feel rich in the optical excess! You would think by the retail price of 900 dollars that I would feel close to being done. What happened was that it was such a good deal at half off, I thought it was the one to get.

Now I ponder how much of this evaluating is in my head. Bill Cook said that some customers should be done with evaluating in twenty minutes if done properly!

Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back