• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another MM2 vs IS request for advice please... (1 Viewer)

Last Year's Man

Hi all...

I am in the market for an inexpensive, small scope, and like many others am trying to decide between an MM2 or an IS60 - either of which I would hope to couple with an HDF eyepiece.

I have a couple of questions that anyone with experience could help me with...

1 - Is the MM2 ED worth the £90.00 more than the standard MM2? In fact, at £199.00 (Sherwoods), I would struggle on my budget to get the HDF eyepiece for the ED version, but could afford it with standard model.

So...ED with standard eyepiece or non-ED with an HDF?

2 - Sherwoods have the IS60 for just £90.00 at the moment. I realise its marginally heavier and slightly longer than the MM2, but seems terrific value.

In either case I would probably choose the 24xWW (MM2) / 23xWW (IS60) HDF eyepiece.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I can't answer your questions as such, but as there haven't been other replies so far -

I use an IS50 with an HDF 40809 eyepiece (x20 mag on mine, x23 on the IS60) and have been very pleased with the results. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the IS60 option you mention.

Hi I bought a MM2 direct from Opticron a couple of weeks ago for a xmas present. I questioned the facxt that it is not waterproof but was told that there will be a new waterproof IS50 out in the new year if i wanted to wait. As it was a xmas present i couldn't. My wife seams happy with the MM2 but i am not sure how much abuse it will take. I know you can buy a stay-on-case or the grippa strap but i am not convinced. I payed £300 with free delivery for an MM2 ( Non ED) with standard 25x lens and a pair of Discovery WP PC 10x42 Bins. They also said if i wasn't happy i could return them for a full refund. Hope that helps
Ian

I've used a standard MM2 with the zoom 15-40 lens for about a year and found it wanting, especially at higher magnification. I don't know how much better the ED version is, or the HDF lenses, but try them and if you're happy, go for it.

I've now got a Nikon ED50 with zoom MCII lens which cost a bit more but I'm much happier with it than I was with the MM2.

I have the IS60 with the Pro Zoom. I'm very pleased - as long as you don't use too high a magnification. It is brighter than the MM2 and a bit more weatherproof. I would definitely recommend it over the MM2 unless you actualy require the extra portability.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back