• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory TFL 8x42 Problem (1 Viewer)

fender

Hi all,

Had to post my Victory Tfl binoculars to Focus Optics today(they are under 2yrs old) as i have had a problem with one of the eyepieces misting-up internally and apparently this could be due to a faulty seal,so they will then be sent from there to Zeiss for repair.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

These are my first "high end" binoculars and i did a lot of research before buying and have been very pleased with them...just hope that this is not the start of further troubles to come with them now that mist has got in!

Phil.

Hi all,

Had to post my Victory Tfl binoculars to Focus Optics today(they are under 2yrs old) as i have had a problem with one of the eyepieces misting-up internally and apparently this could be due to a faulty seal,so they will then be sent from there to Zeiss for repair.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

These are my first "high end" binoculars and i did a lot of research before buying and have been very pleased with them...just hope that this is not the start of further troubles to come with them now that mist has got in!

Phil.

Well, Fls are known to be quite tough. If as you say they fogged up internally then most probably the seal failed? Some nitrogen escaped and there we go. Don't worry Zeiss will repair it in no time. Any idea how could it have happened? Maybe you dropped them or something?

Phil

I cannot comment on your problem with a possible faulty seal but I have had work done by Zeiss on both my 10x42 FL's and my telescope zoom eye piece in the last three years (both problems my carelessness) and their service has been nothing short of excellent - see previous thread on 'Zeiss Warranty work'. As for the bins themselves, I've had mine for 3 years now, they are in use every day and I think they are the bee's knees - won't swap them for anything else!

B

Well, Fls are known to be quite tough. If as you say they fogged up internally then most probably the seal failed? Some nitrogen escaped and there we go. Don't worry Zeiss will repair it in no time. Any idea how could it have happened? Maybe you dropped them or something?

Hi, no I've no idea how it happened and i certainly didn't drop them. I had been to Slimbridge two weeks ago and after a couple of hours outside on a cold,dry,bright day went into the restaurant for a meal.I was in one of their hides soon afterwards and then noticed that my left lens was fogged internally. This eventually cleared after approx 2 hours.

Not had this happen since,but obviously not right, hence my sending for repair.

Phil.

Last edited:
Phil

I cannot comment on your problem with a possible faulty seal but I have had work done by Zeiss on both my 10x42 FL's and my telescope zoom eye piece in the last three years (both problems my carelessness) and their service has been nothing short of excellent - see previous thread on 'Zeiss Warranty work'. As for the bins themselves, I've had mine for 3 years now, they are in use every day and I think they are the bee's knees - won't swap them for anything else!

B

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your input. I treat my optics very carefully and can honestly say that the problem is not due to me. Very reassuring to know that Zeiss service is so good. I too use mine most days and think they are brilliant...just hope that once they are fixed i will have no further problems!

Phil.

Got my bins back today..they look fine but obviously need to check them in differing weather conditions to be fully sure. Were away for 10 days in all...i sure missed them!

There was no mention though, of what the exact problem was, or what work had to be done..just a Zeiss customer feedback questionnaire. Have said to them that i think it would be good for customers to have a run-down on the work carried-out for future reference.

Phil.

Hi Phil

!0 days for repairs isn't bad at all but I know any time without them seems like a lifetime. I'm surprised there was no indication as to what was done to them - when mine were returned there was a docket listing "new oculars, clean, collimation check' etc but it would be nice to know what the problem was. I still rate Zeiss UK service as excellent, particularly as Zeiss owners in the USA seem to have problems with repairs.

Cheers

B

Hi Phil

!0 days for repairs isn't bad at all but I know any time without them seems like a lifetime. I'm surprised there was no indication as to what was done to them - when mine were returned there was a docket listing "new oculars, clean, collimation check' etc but it would be nice to know what the problem was. I still rate Zeiss UK service as excellent, particularly as Zeiss owners in the USA seem to have problems with repairs.

Cheers

B

Hi Barry, yes i thought it was pretty quick too. Reassuring to know Zeiss uk is rated highly.

After e-mailing Focus Optics i did get a reply which did give me some idea as to what work was done...see the passage below;

"They were very quick to carry out the repair but as usual with all companies give very little information. Their report gives ' optics misted - dried out, general service/clean' with no further comment".

Regards, Phil.

Hi Barry, yes i thought it was pretty quick too. Reassuring to know Zeiss uk is rated highly.

After e-mailing Focus Optics i did get a reply which did give me some idea as to what work was done...see the passage below;

"They were very quick to carry out the repair but as usual with all companies give very little information. Their report gives ' optics misted - dried out, general service/clean' with no further comment".

Regards, Phil.

So the 10 days included, you sending them to a dealer, a dealer sending them to Zeiss, Zeiss returning them to a dealer and a dealer to you? 10 days in total, did this include weekend days as well?

mak.

So the 10 days included, you sending them to a dealer, a dealer sending them to Zeiss, Zeiss returning them to a dealer and a dealer to you? 10 days in total, did this include weekend days as well?

mak.

Hi Mak. sorry not to reply sooner..i only just noticed that there was another new thread to reply to.

To answer your question...yes the 10 days did include weekend days and the process was exactly as you outline...not bad service at all!

I did ask for a reply from Zeiss to some questions that i had asked(relating to exactly what work was done)when i sent back their customer feedback questionnaire.This was three weeks ago and i have still had no reply...so doubt if i will get a reply now.

Regards,

Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back