• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just got a phone call from the missus. (1 Viewer)

Superb! What a beautiful bird. If you do move, and the new occupants aren't into bird feeding, just tell her to head for South Warks., we can't be far away!
Mary

Mary said:
Superb! What a beautiful bird. If you do move, and the new occupants aren't into bird feeding, just tell her to head for South Warks., we can't be far away!
Mary

Hi Mary

Yes it will be a sad moment if we do go as I can't ever imagine having such a beautiful bird visit our garden like our waggy does. She sits for ages by the side of our patio window seemingly watching us watching her.

One nice story was one day last year one of our dogs was lying on the patio in the sun and waggy flew onto his head then proceeded to walk down our jaspers body before flying onto the table by the patio. I don't know who was more suprised. Our dog or us. That was a brilliant moment.

I have added a head shot I took last year.

Attachments

• Grey Wagtail 6079 (head).jpg
    Grey Wagtail 6079 (head).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 80
Reader said:
One nice story was one day last year one of our dogs was lying on the patio in the sun and waggy flew onto his head then proceeded to walk down our jaspers body before flying onto the table by the patio. I don't know who was more suprised. Our dog or us. That was a brilliant moment.

I have added a head shot I took last year.

This is a beautiful photo - at least you (and your dog!) will have some lovely memories memories and pictures to take with you. Good luck with the move.

Hi Reader,

You could try doing what I did when I moved house. I spoke to the purchasers, and found out they (well, she) enjoyed birds in the garden. I then left a couple of feeders and some seed as a kind of "welcome" gift. I also left the website address etc of CJ Wildbird foods, just to make sure they knew where to buy all this stuff.

It may well be worth a try, especially pointing out to them what a special bird the wagtail is. Good luck!

You know mate, if you hadn't posted those pictures, I think I would have doubted your story. Thanks for telling us about your little friend, it's a facinating tale.
Tanny

helenol said:
Hi Reader,

You could try doing what I did when I moved house. I spoke to the purchasers, and found out they (well, she) enjoyed birds in the garden.

Hi Helen

It's rented property run by the Housing association I work for. Unfortunately the last tenant died just over a month ago and that is why the property is empty.

I would hope that there are quite a few birds there as the property is only about a 5 minute walk from Coombe Abbey. There is a huge lake as well as woods there and plenty of birds also. Brandon Marsh is also only about 3-4 miles away also.

There is also a large bank of trees to the side of the bungalow that is just the right distance for birds that feel threatened in the garden. If my judgement is correct I would think that we should be able to pull in quite a good selection of birds.

The chap that died did have quite a few bird feeders as well as a couple of tables in the garden so it certainly looks the part.

If we get it I will definitely be building another pond and waterfall in the garden so you never no I might pull in another passing Grey Wagtail.

Now what would the odds be of that happening?

Surprise, surprise.

As I got home my missus told me to keep quiet and look out of the patio window. There was our waggy as usual but this time she wasn't on her own. Another Grey Wagtail had joined her. Apparently this other bird had arrived about 4pm. Hopefully it will stay and give me a chance to photograph it. better still to photograph them both together.

Well I got home just after 5pm and straight away was treated to displays by both Wagtails. At one point they both landed on the patio, right by the window, and they were also briefly joined by a Wren that soon scooted off into the undergrowth.

BTW I have just realised a coincidence. The dog food bag that waggy lands on. What do you think the trade name is. Yes you've guessed it. WAGG dog food. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back