• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (3 Viewers)

Common Gulls at Beidaihe

Reminds me of my one visit to Beidaihe (in May 2004). In three weeks, we saw only two Common Gulls, both at Nandaihe. I was hoping to clinch my first ever kamtschatschensis, but Paul Holt reckoned that the one individual seen well enough was 'just' a heinei. :C

Richard

Thanks Rockfowl and Richard

Yes indeed, it's a bad sign when I'm spending so much time looking at gulls.

Interestingly there have been hundreds of "Kams" here in the past 10 days, but only one adult with pale khaki legs and same-colour ringed-bill (the one I photographed). So, if that's not a heinei then it's back to the drawing board (again!).

Thanks for the links Rockfowl, I'll see if I can gain enlightenment ;-)

Hi Rockfowl

Well. there's an interesting thought.

If you are right (and the odds are with you by a long chalk), then it would suggest to me that heinei not kamchatka is the "common" gull here, because all the adult "common" gulls I've bothered to look at (except for two) here have been, to my eyes, dead ringers for the "kamchatka" you linked to.

At least I'm being consistent, because the only two birds I've seen (and photographed) that I think may be heinei are birds you think are kamchatka.

In which case, it's time for me to put the binoculars away and get the golf clubs out (equally frustrating at times, but at least you know a 7 iron when you see one).

Not that I'm any better at golf.

Last edited:
Gulls would never drive me to golf, I'm not keen on the land use, still better than high rise apartments ;)

But yes, I think heinei rather than kamtschatschensis is the 'common' gull. The last one - http://www.ChineseCurrents.com/2010birds32.html may well be heinei, the head is very clean with little streaking ie rather advanced, which is more often shown by 'kams' up until late April.

But then I look too much and remind myself, there's more to life!

Last edited:
Hi Rockfowl

Golf? I hate the game. Hence my use of the metaphor to describe something that's in the same league (although not quite as frustrating) as gull-watching ;-) At least with golf, no matter how bad things get, you eventually get the ball into the hole.

But one should face one's demons. That's why I put the photo up with a "subject to" caveat, and invited comments.

The possible heinei I posted at http://www.ChineseCurrents.com/2010birds32.html is far-less streaked than the norm (here, now), but I didn't use that as a supporting feature, because I'm mindful that streaking can be extremely variable.

But, that said, birds with extensive streaking (+ bright yellow legs and bill) are more likely to be kamchatka are they not?

Heavily-streaked "common" gulls have been in the majority in the past 10 days (up to 100 a day).

That's why I'm struggling to come to terms with the idea that heinei is actually the "common" gull (here at this time of year at least).

Time to go back to Beijing and think about it over a pint or two of Guinness methinks ;-)

Cheers!

Shi Jin

Last edited:
And the final post for this Beidaihe trip (promise)...

Hebei, Qilihai

Thursday, 8th April, 3.30 to 5.30pm

If you have a 6 year-old, then the beach at Qilihai is a great place to go. Sahara-like sand dunes, and the best beachcombing on the coast. But, as much as I enjoy hunting for beautifully-patterned shells, I just had to take my camera along... "just in case".

Just as well, because I saw something that I suspect is quite an unusual sight - 3 "bean" geese flying over the sea. "Bean" geese per se can be expected at this time of year, but I certainly didn't expect to see both types of them flying together. Unless I've completely lost the plot (don't bet against it), then the photos show a serrirostris ("Tundra"), sandwiched between two middendorffii ("Taiga") 258.

Mark Brazil, in his East Asia book sums it up nicely: "Taiga slightly larger, with longer, more slender bill and more Whooper Swan-like head and bill shape. Tundra has shorter, thicker neck, rounder head and stubbier bill..."

And, would you believe it, I found yet another pair of Black-necked Grebe on the sea (one of which was not quite in summer-plumage).

Photos at:

http://www.ChineseCurrents.com/2010birds32.html

Time for that Guinness!

Last edited:
About 3 White-naped Cranes in Huairou Reservoir in march, maybe you miss them.

Thursday, 25th March, 11.30am to 1.45pm

Beijing, Huairou

One of the joys of living in Beijing is the wonderful weather... only joking of course ;-) The actual top three joys would be: 1) great people; 2) draught Guinness, imported from Dublin; and 3) many mountains within easy reach.

The mountains north-east of the city (on the road to inner Mongolia) are a particular favourite.

Last night's rain had thankfully slipped south and the day was bright, although the chilly wind from the north made it feel less than spring-like at times. Despite this, there were birds-a-plenty, many of which were marking their territories.

The most spectacular of the territorial displays was performed by an Ibisbill, which was flying around in big circles while raucously signalling "this is mine!". Its mate wasn't the slightest bit interested in the show, preferring instead to look for snacks.

The next performance on the programme came from a Crested Kingfisher, whose mate at least bothered to watch it flying up and down the river. After five circuits, it flopped down on to a rock for a rest.

Following this, a pair of Long-billed Plovers began to strut their stuff on the banks of the river.

Even the corvids were getting into the swing of things. More than 50 Red-billed Choughs performed an aerial ballet and Oriental Crows chased each other harem-scarem from tree to tree, as a pair of Red-billed Blue Magpies squawked appreciatively. The raven just sat there impassively, as if it had seen it all before.

The pair of Pere David's Laughingthrushes and Chinese Hill Warblers were also active and in fine voice.

Up the mountain, the buntings were back. More than 60 Siberian Meadow and a dozen Godlewski's were far too busy looking for food to bother about giving any kind of show. While watching a Godlewski's, I noticed something moving to its left. I put my bins down just as the something popped up on to a close bush and immediately saw that it was a bright-pink male rosefinch. But which one? By the time I had picked up my bins again it had vanished into thin air. In these parts, it could realistically be one of only two species: long-tailed or pallas's. Alas, it was the one that got away.

But mustn't complain ;-)

7 species photographed (5 new for 2010 are highlighted)

Can be seen at www.ChineseCurrents.com/2010birds28.html

209 Ibisbill (monotypic)
Long-billed Plover
210 Crested Kingfisher (ssp guttulatus)
211 Red-billed Chough (ssp brachypus)
212 Raven (ssp ?)

Siberian Meadow Bunting
213 Godlewski's Bunting (ssp omissa)

Thanks Xiaoming

I knew about them, but didn't go because I wanted to "save" the sighting for Beidaihe.

I came back to Beijing yesterday afternoon. As it was, I didn't see a single crane in my 9 days there.

And guess what? My family in Beidaihe were out walking in the Lotus Hills while I was driving back, and what did they see? A flock of "more than a hundred cranes" flying over the hills.

Interestingly, I had decided not to go out in the morning because the weather had taken a turn for the worse... rain, cold, and high-winds.

Cheers.

Shi Jin

Thanks Xiaoming

I knew about them, but didn't go because I wanted to "save" the sighting for Beidaihe.

I came back to Beijing yesterday afternoon. As it was, I didn't see a single crane in my 9 days there.

And guess what? My family in Beidaihe were out walking in the Lotus Hills while I was driving back, and what did they see? A flock of "more than a hundred cranes" flying over the hills.

Interestingly, I had decided not to go out in the morning because the weather had taken a turn for the worse... rain, cold, and high-winds.

Cheers.

Shi Jin

Unlucky, just goes to show there really are no rules, White's or Greys?

Shijin,

Maybe late Oct and earyl Nov is much better than april. We can try then.

Best wishes,
Xiao Ming

I'll be there, my favourite period!

Last edited:
Hi Rockfowl

Golf? I hate the game. Hence my use of the metaphor to describe something that's in the same league (although not quite as frustrating) as gull-watching ;-) At least with golf, no matter how bad things get, you eventually get the ball into the hole.

But one should face one's demons. That's why I put the photo up with a "subject to" caveat, and invited comments.

The possible heinei I posted at http://www.ChineseCurrents.com/2010birds32.html is far-less streaked than the norm (here, now), but I didn't use that as a supporting feature, because I'm mindful that streaking can be extremely variable.

But, that said, birds with extensive streaking (+ bright yellow legs and bill) are more likely to be kamchatka are they not?

Heavily-streaked "common" gulls have been in the majority in the past 10 days (up to 100 a day).

That's why I'm struggling to come to terms with the idea that heinei is actually the "common" gull (here at this time of year at least).

Time to go back to Beijing and think about it over a pint or two of Guinness methinks ;-)

Cheers!

Shi Jin

Maybe the key to this is the timings, without looking at a broader spectrum it's difficult (and I have to be fairly bored ;)), bit like taking on LWHG's on the sandflats. Yes extensive streaking and brighter legs and bill could/should indicate a kam, the plumage advancement much slower than heinei according to study, have you looked at the Olson and Larsson Gulls book, more light reading ;) and not all you'd agree with.
All I know is heinei appear to be the 'common' gull in Oct/Nov and almost all of the spring birds I've looked at have also appear to be 'heinei'. Or rather I'm not convinced I'm looking at the 'big-fellas' as there mostly rather dainty folk - see attached.
The bit between I would suspect more Kam's appear based on distribution, movement and records of accompanying species such as Glaucs, Slaty-backs etc

Anyway, perhaps a beer in the usual bar in May?

Attachments

• DSCF3898.jpg
    DSCF3898.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 74
Hi Rockfowl

I've never been to Beidaihe in late Oct would you believe. I tend to go a lot in Feb and March, and May of course (when I don't bother to look at gulls very much). To my eyes, the bird in your excellent photo looks quite a bit like the one I saw on the Sandflats last week (the leg and bill colour are very different to the ones I've been calling "kams" - and of course it, too, has a ringed bill). See attached (which is much higher resolution than the photo on my website).

I wish now that I had taken pics of the flocks of "common" gulls I saw on the flats last week, but I was more interested in Great Knot and also getting some good flight shots of Kentish Plover (two of my favourite birds).

Yes, indeed, very much looking forward to a beer of two at the Jinshan.

Cheers.

PS No, I don't have the gull book. It would be wasted on me I'm afraid.

PPS They were "greys".

Attachments

• not so common, common gull.jpg
    not so common, common gull.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Only two gulls to really look at in May, Relict and Saunder's (though I have a soft spot for Black-tailed), I tend to ignore the rest! Too much good stuff creeping around :t:

The Great Knot was much more interesting, gave a warm feeling knowing its history so far. One day, you'll hopefully bump into a Spoon-billed Sandpiper, like this one at Pigeon's nest last year - http://bbs.fon.org.cn/bbs/bbsDetail.jsp?curPage=2&pageSizeStr=&id=2263, now there's a prize!

Jinshan bar it is then ;)

BTW, I'm hearing slightly conflicting reports from Hebei about the latest batch of construction, as depressing as it is. How badly has your usual patch south Nandaihe been affected? Coastal pools filled in? Little Wood still there ? Jeans off to HI via Magic Wood this week, and reports last year said everything okay. When I arrived, I didn't recognise HI (new road, New England builds, street lights :eek!:) and Magic was a shadow of itself due to the heronry moving in, ammonia an all that. With Da Pu dry, and all this work in Beidiahe, Nandaihe down to HI, I fear we will all have to juggle a bit this year.

Last edited:
I was delighted to find - and photograph - a pair Saunders' Gulls last week at Qilihai (see attached).

But funnily enough my favourite photo that day was of an Oystercatcher ;-)

Yes indeed Spooners, though, are the ultimate prize.

There was a pair of Spooners found on Happy Island in '95 - or it might have been '96 - at the same time as I was actually on the island. I heard about them, of course, but declined to walk the two miles because I had - and still have - this thing about not "twitching" stuff in/on Beidaihe/Happy Island. Strange but true... must be something to do with me being a hardcore twitcher for years in Britain and wanting to do something completely different in Beidaihe. The Spooners were of course the ultimate test of my resolve.

As luck would have it, in 2002 I think it was, I was doing a circuit of Happy Island when I bumped into a flock of birders watching a Spoon-billed Sandpiper. Fair game of course, because I just happened to be walking past.

I hope that, one day though, I'll actually find a Spooner for myself.

Attachments

• f_saunders_gull.jpg
    f_saunders_gull.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 82
  • g_saunders_gull.jpg
    g_saunders_gull.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 78
  • h_saunders_gull.jpg
    h_saunders_gull.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Now those are great shots!

Yes, hoping to find one in Beidaihe myself, maybe this year (saw one on HI but didn't see the bill :eek!: as a big-lens fool moved in before it could lift its head) or perhaps a jewel in the form of a Fairy Pitta!

One can dream ;)

Just as well, because I saw something that I suspect is quite an unusual sight - 3 "bean" geese flying over the sea. "Bean" geese per se can be expected at this time of year, but I certainly didn't expect to see both types of them flying together. Unless I've completely lost the plot (don't bet against it), then the photos show a serrirostris ("Tundra"), sandwiched between two middendorffii ("Taiga") 258.

Mark Brazil, in his East Asia book sums it up nicely: "Taiga slightly larger, with longer, more slender bill and more Whooper Swan-like head and bill shape. Tundra has shorter, thicker neck, rounder head and stubbier bill..."
!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1789647#post1789647

Thanks Rockfowl

Goodness me, "Middendorff's Goose" does have a nice ring to it.

Something for The BBBC to consider at their next meeting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back