• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid name placement (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I had to have the rubber armor replaced on my Zeiss 8x42 FL. The new armor came with a Victory FL name "printed" on it. Actually, it is part of the rubber armor, but it sticks out. And the edges of the letters are rather prominent. The stupid thing, at least as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that this lettering is placed exactly where my fingertips rest when I hold the binoculars in a relaxed way. And the lettering definitely has an irritating effect. No problems with gloves, of course, but certainly with the bare hands. Also, it's no problem when I hold the binoculars more tightly, as the fingertips are then placed more over the barrel.

The only way to solve the problem is to carefully cut off the protruding letters. The attached pictures show the original lettering, a stage when only the first four letters were removed, and finally the situation after the removal. It definitely feels better that way now. But I hate to have had to do the cutting, always risking to actually do some damage. Even now, one can tell that I spent more time on the first three letters than on the rest. The problem was that I had to replace the blade, and while it did cut better, it was also more prone to remove too much.

It completely eludes me why the letters were placed at the particular location. They are not sufficiently prominent to have an advertising effect. (They only shine rather prominently in the first picture because I used a situation with a high-contrast illumination to take the pictures.) But they definitely have the potential to irritate the customers.

I should add that the original version of this armor came without the letters.

Attachments

• P1280475red.jpg
    P1280475red.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 99
  • P1280476red.jpg
    P1280476red.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 87
  • P1280477red.jpg
    P1280477red.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Well try this.....I have a 7x42, identical to the 8x, and find the best hold is fingers across the hinge, interlaced, w/ l & r index both on the focus wheel and thumbs touching on the bottom. Gives a very solid hold and you never touch the valley in the center.

Well try this.....I have a 7x42, identical to the 8x, and find the best hold is fingers across the hinge, interlaced, w/ l & r index both on the focus wheel and thumbs touching on the bottom. Gives a very solid hold and you never touch the valley in the center.

My fingers are too short for doing this comfortably. Anyway, the irritation is gone now as you can see above. Just had good looks at a Short-eared Owl and a Bluethroat this afternoon.

Why not tape over the name? Thick black electrical tape should remove the ''irritation'' factor.

Personally, I love the name there......it is constantly reminding me [in a braille kinda way] just what I'm using as I tend to forget........8-P

Why not tape over the name? Thick black electrical tape should remove the ''irritation'' factor.

That tape tends to get sticky at the edges. Definitely not a good idea to replace one irritation with another one. Plus, it would look even more awful than the reduced letters.

I am wondering if you should just try to get used to it. The view is pretty good otherwise
is it not?

Jerry

No need to get used to an irritation that can be removed, as you should note from my first post. I agree with the excellent view, and it does not deserve any unnecessary distractions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back