• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is she laying her eggs?? (1 Viewer)

masonr

Hi,
I posted earlier, but I haven't gotten a reply.... I'm so new to this, so I hope somebody can help.
My dove landed in the nest about an hour ago, and she hasn't budged-- her mate hasn't shown up to bring more nest materials-- does this mean she's laying one of her eggs?? How long does she do this? I've researched a little and know that the male will incubate the eggs as well, but how long does it take for her to lay her eggs, generally?
I assume I should not go out on my balcony?

P.S. I've named them John and Yoko (peace/dove theme) for clarification purposes. :news:

Tero said:
It should not take hours to lay. Not sure whane the second egg is laid.

Cowbirds lay eggs in seconds.

Update: it's been almost three hours, and she hasn't moved. I'm not sure if the male/female switched when I wasn't looking. A storm has just moved through, and she's still there!

The actual laying of the egg should only take seconds.
In most birds, including doves, one egg is laid a day until the clutch is complete.
Some species start incubating the eggs after the first is laid, others wait until
the full clutch is laid before they start incubating (so they all hatch at about the
same time).
My guess is that your dove has laid and has started incubating.

Pete

pete woodall said:
The actual laying of the egg should only take seconds.
In most birds, including doves, one egg is laid a day until the clutch is complete.
Some species start incubating the eggs after the first is laid, others wait until
the full clutch is laid before they start incubating (so they all hatch at about the
same time).
My guess is that your dove has laid and has started incubating.

Pete

Thanks for your help! Now I just hope she survives the rain here!
Do you happen to know how protective they are? Is it advisable to water the other plants on my balcony, or should I give her privacy for a while?

Just how tolerant birds are to disturbance near their nest varies considerably between
species and also between individuals of a species.

The fact that this dove has nested on your balcony means that it must be fairly
used to your presence and activities.

However, it is in the early stages of incubation that birds are most likely to desert
their nests. (Early on they haven't invested too much time and energy in that nest
compared to a couple of weeks down the track). So, my advice would be to
limit disturbance overall, but particularly at this early stage. You can always
carefully watch how the dove reacts to your activity - some can be remarkably tame
and "sit tight" when you are close by, others leave at the slightest disturbance.

I think it's something that you will have to judge for yourself - but be cautious early on.

Good luck

Pete

pete woodall said:
Just how tolerant birds are to disturbance near their nest varies considerably between
species and also between individuals of a species.

The fact that this dove has nested on your balcony means that it must be fairly
used to your presence and activities.

However, it is in the early stages of incubation that birds are most likely to desert
their nests. (Early on they haven't invested too much time and energy in that nest
compared to a couple of weeks down the track). So, my advice would be to
limit disturbance overall, but particularly at this early stage. You can always
carefully watch how the dove reacts to your activity - some can be remarkably tame
and "sit tight" when you are close by, others leave at the slightest disturbance.

I think it's something that you will have to judge for yourself - but be cautious early on.

Good luck

Pete

Well, I'm confused. I woke up this morning and checked the nest. There was one egg, but no mother. Before I left for work I checked again, and either the mother or father was sitting in a tree limb that overlooks my balcony, staring at the nest. Did the mama abandon her egg?

I don't know yet. All will be revealed in a day or two.

Whether:
another egg is laid;
incubation begins in earnest
the nest is deserted.

I hope that it is not the last option

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back