• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MaxView PX eyepiece - Looking for feedback (1 Viewer)

MickeyJay

Recently purchased a MaxView PX eyepiece for two reasons: First, it was made specifically for my Pentax 80EF scope. To work with the Pentax 80EF the focal point was moved on the PX eyepiece. Do not know exactly what this means, but this is what I read. Second, it was the only eyepiece I could find that would allow me to use my Kodak DX6490 for digiscoping.

My problem is trying to focus the scope with the PX. With the DX6490 camera attached it is impossible. Without the camera attached it is nearly impossible. The viewing area is extremly small. Unless I stay directly behind the PX eyepiece there is no hope of keeping the viewing area in sight or getting it focused. Being able to look to right or left side of the viewing area is out of the question....everything turns to black.

What I discovered is that all these difficulties with the PX do not exist with the less costly William Optics DCL-28 eyepiece. When I focused the scope using the PX eyepiece and then replaced it with the William Optics eyepiece the difference was awesome. There was a larger viewing area. I could actually look to the sides without everything turning black. I should add that all this focusing was done without the camera attached.

Would like to hear from anyone who is using the MaxView PX eyepiece and a Pentax scope or from anyone who can explain why I am having this much difficulty.

Finally, I am in no way associated with ScopeTronix, Pentax, or William Optics. I am just a consumer trying to understand what is happening.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back