• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do they call it that? (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

OK, I'll admit that this is really just an excuse to show you a couple of recent photos of one of my favourite Butterflys. This poor chap is missing a big chunk of the back edge of it's left hind wing. Maybe that's why it kept going off for a short flutter and then came back to the same thistle.

But why do they call it a 'Comma', that's not like any comma that I've seen; why isn't it a 'broken triangle'?

Bill

Attachments

• DS comma on thistle 060807 1.jpg
    DS comma on thistle 060807 1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DS comma on thistle 060807 2.jpg
    DS comma on thistle 060807 2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DS comma on thistle 060807 3.jpg
    DS comma on thistle 060807 3.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 16
I have always assumed that the name comes from the small mark on the underside of the wing (you can make it out on your 2nd photo) which is supposed to look like a Comma.

Hi Robin,

Yes, I know why, what I'm saying is that it doesn't look like a comma to me, it looks like a broken triangle. For me, at it's most elaborate, a comma would be a dot with a curly tail.

Bill.

Hi Robin,

Yes, I know why, what I'm saying is that it doesn't look like a comma to me, it looks like a broken triangle. For me, at it's most elaborate, a comma would be a dot with a curly tail.

Bill.

Sorry Bill I see what you mean now and I totally agree. Alternatively it could be taken as as lower case "c". Certainly doesn't look like a punctuation mark.

I have always assumed that the name comes from the small mark on the underside of the wing (you can make it out on your 2nd photo) which is supposed to look like a Comma.
Robin,I think Bill is saying that the mark doesn't look much like a comma.
I disagree,see my pic....it looks like a ,to me! lol!;)

Attachments

• Comma 2.jpg
    Comma 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Bill.I know what you mean and you certainly don't need the punctuation to identify a Comma.The Silver "Y" moth is much better but not perfect.Why do they choose such minute details for identity?Maybe it comes from the days when they pinned them on boards.Having said all that, I'm blowed if icould think of another name for either.

maurice convenient that your flowers grow sideways.LOL

Last edited:
Why do they choose such minute details for identity?

I know what you mean. Slightly off topic (but relevant I hope ) I went to see the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper that appeared in Kent on Friday. Cracking bird but why Sharp-tailed ???? Not a noticeable feature.

Hi folks,

OK Ruth, I suppose that yours does look a bit like a rather distorted comma, but here are 2 more from last year and they both look to me like broken triangles. My point is that they called have just as easily call it 'Broken Triangle' as 'Comma' and for most of those that I've seen it would have been more accurate.

Robin, please don't start us down that road, there are a lot of birds that are not as obvious from the names as they should be.

Maurice my old sport, those first 3 shots were taken that way up, it was (as you say) just lucky that the thistle head was leaning over.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS comma 2.jpg
    DS comma 2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DS comma in gdn 070906 1.jpg
    DS comma in gdn 070906 1.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 11
No matter that it has a weird name, it is still a very nice flutterbye!

Good pics, too!

Hi folks,

OK, I'll admit that this is really just an excuse to show you a couple of recent photos of one of my favourite Butterflys. This poor chap is missing a big chunk of the back edge of it's left hind wing. Maybe that's why it kept going off for a short flutter and then came back to the same thistle.

But why do they call it a 'Comma', that's not like any comma that I've seen; why isn't it a 'broken triangle'?

Bill

Hi Bill

I'm not getting involved in this one
Great pics anyway! :t:

Tony

mauricek said:
I'm blowed if I could think of another name for either.

Hi Bill,

Beautiful photos of whatever it is....from here on! I did notice it when you sent it tother day and it's the closest joining comma I've ever seen. Maybe it's a "Double Gloucester" and has more! Sorry, but I couldn't resist that cheesy one!

Re Maurice not being able to think of another name....how about Jigsaw Butterfly, they always remind me of a piece, but then maybe that's just me....!

Love, Sue.

It demonstrates why there's a need for scientific names as well as common names. The comma is Polygonia c-album, derived from the Greek for many-angled and Latin albus (white), so I suppose an angular butterfly with a white C is as good as any!
There's been a rash of dubious common names given to insects and fungi in recent years. Some authors seem to get carried away.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back